PDA

View Full Version : Introducing... OLS Premium Membership Subscriptions

Pages : [1] 2

Brent
March 29th, 2004, 11:43pm
I am extremely pleased to announce that starting May 15th, 2004, Online-Sweepstakes.com (OLS) will officially begin a brand new premium membership service. As a matter of fact, I'm tickled pink about it. :laugh:

Subscribers to this new service will receive several additional benefits not available to non-subscribers. The major benefits will include exclusive access to approximately 20 - 30% of the sweeps in the sweepstakes directory, access to private subscriber-only forum(s), a much more advanced version of MySweeps (save an unlimited number of sweeps, entry total and date/time tracking, sweeps will remain saved after they expire), and the continued enjoyment of using the OLS web site without banner advertisements.

Between now and May 15th, these additional premium membership features (among others) will be gradually added to the web site and be made available to all subscribers. I know better than to try and guarantee exactly what will be available and when, but as long as most of the major benefits are ready and live at the time, May 15th will be official start date of the premium membership service. Subscriptions that are purchased before May 15th will automatically have extra time added to reflect the official start date of May 15th. For example, all one-year subscriptions purchased between now and May 15th will expire on May 15th, 2005. Essentially, any subscription time between now and May 15th will be free.

New premium membership subscriptions can now be purchased ($30 for a 1-year subscription, $20.00 for 6 months*, and $12.50 for 3 months*) at anytime by clicking on the Paid Subscriptions (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/subscriptions.php?) link from within the User CP (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/usercp.php?) (User Control Panel) in the OLS forums.

Whether you decide to become a subscriber or not, I humbly and sincerely thank you for your continued support and patronage. :gvibes:

Brent

Related Information:
Introducing... OLS Premium Membership Subscriptions (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122603) (this page)

OLS Premium Membership - [4/2 Update] (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123613)

OLS Premium Membership - [4/18 Update] (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127730)

OLS Premium Membership - [5/1 Update] (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131016)

Paid Subscriptions (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/subscriptions.php?) - purchase a subscription and check your current subscription status

----------------------------------------------------------------

* New lower price, for explanation: http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123613

OLS Premium Membership FAQ

Tell me more about what's included with an OLS premium membership subscription.

Premium Membership subscribers will get exclusive access to about 20 - 30% (a very rough estimate) of the sweepstakes and contests that get submitted to our site. These will be the sweeps that we think are least likely to be well-known, or found on/in other sweep sites and newsletters.
A much improved version of MySweeps. You will be able to save an unlimited number of sweeps, and MySweeps will keep track of both your total number of entries and the last date and time you made an entry for each sweep. And instead of automatically removing sweeps from your list as they expire, they will be moved into a new "Expired" category in MySweeps (the last date/time and total # of entries for each sweep will also remain saved).
No banner advertisements anywhere on OLS.
Access to subscriber-only forums. We'll probably start off with just one, but I'm sure we'll add more as we progress.
The best value by far, in my opinion, of any other similar sweepstakes web site or newsletter subscription service that's out there. Most of these other services charge much more than the $30 cost of a one-year OLS subscription, and they still offer much less than what OLS offers for free. Let's look at the facts: OLS has the most sweeps listed (and they're generally listed sooner), the most detailed sweep listings, the best site organization, the most popular forums, the most unique and forward-thinking features and the fastest loading web site- and that's all without the added benefits of a premium membership.

Though I think you'd be very hard-pressed to make much of an argument to the contrary, if you want a more objective measurement of our members' success take a gander at our Winner's Circle (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7) and Hall of Fame (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52) forums. Nobody, but nobody has nearly the number of sweepstakes and contest winners that we do right here at OLS.
There are many other subscriber-only features on the drawing board- including custom winner's pages, a database for referral email addresses, subscriber-only sweep notes, private storage space on the server for photos and graphics, a private chatroom system, and adding a priority and possibly custom categories to MySweeps, among many others. Additional features will be continually added as time allows.
The satisfaction of showing your continued support for the OLS web site and community, helping to ensure our continued existence as a community-oriented web site that doesn't have to rely on annoying pop-ups, an over-abundance of often shady/questionable advertisements, or any deceptive and/or high pressure "marketing" tricks that are all too commonplace today.

What if I don't subscribe?
The last thing I want to do is force anyone to make the choice of paying for a subscription or losing access to OLS. It would definitely be the easiest thing to do, but I don't think it would be the right thing. Without the continued support and contributions of our entire community over the years, OLS would simply not exist as it does today. By and large, the community runs itself on a day to day basis- our members post and submit sweeps, our volunteer editors edit and categorize those sweeps, and our volunteer moderators help keep everything in the forums tidy and running smoothly. In my opinion, our long-standing, community-centric atmosphere is one of the best things about OLS. That's why I think my ultimate responsibility is to continue to run this web site as a community first and foremost, and as a business second. And that's why giving our members such an ultimatum would not just be the wrong thing to do, but it would be like shooting myself in the foot, if not the head.

With the exception of the 20 - 30% of sweeps that will be reserved exclusively for premium membership subscribers, and the addition of a very moderate amount of advertising (no pop-ups), non-subscribers will still have access to all the current forums, sweep notes, MySweeps features and other areas and functionality of the site that all registered OLS members currently has access to now.

Whether you get a subscription or not, you will always be welcomed at OLS.

I've donated money to OLS before, or I'm owed a subscription, how's that going to work?
Over the next couple of days, I'm going to go through all of my records and credit the accounts of everyone who is due a subscription. Once your account has been credited, you can see your subscription information on the "Paid Subscriptions" page of the "User CP" (User Control Panel). If your account doesn't get credited by April 19th and you believe you are owed a subscription, please send me a PM (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=2) with the details. These are the guidelines I'm going to go by:

Donations Received Before September 1st, 2003
Everyone who made a donation before September of last year (before it was announced the price of a yearly subscription would be $30), will receive credit for the amount of their donation PLUS a bonus of 50%. If you donated $20, you'll get credit for $30 which will entitle you to a full one-year subscription.

Donations Received After September 1st, 2003
Members who made donations after September 1st of last year will receive credit for the amount of their donation PLUS a bonus of 25%. If you donated $30, you'll get credit for $37.50 which will entitle you to a one-year and three month subscription.

Founding Members
All Founding Members, defined as members who registered before January 5th, 2002, who have visited the OLS web site at least once in the last 2 years, will receive a free 3-month subscription.

OLS Volunteers
All active moderators and editors will receive a free membership.

OLS Member-Only Contest Winners
Every sweep/contest winner who has won a subscription will receive their prize.

Why should I buy a subscription? Are you going to offer trial subscriptions?
I would recommend considering a subscription after you have regularly used the free version of OLS for a little while (maybe a month or two). By then, you should have a pretty good idea about whether or not a subscription is right for you. The benefits that are included with a premium membership are designed for sweepers to make finding, entering, tracking and organizing sweepstakes and contests as easy and less time-consuming as possible. Therefore, the more you sweep, the more you will benefit from an OLS subscription.

Because subscriptions include access to premium content, and in order to keep things as simple as possible, all subscriptions will be final (no automatic money-back guarantee, refunds will only be granted at my own discretion) and trial subscriptions will not be offered.

If I'm a subscriber, can I still get banned?
All OLS members, whether they are paid subscribers or not, must agree to the OLS Terms of Service (see the disclaimer link at the bottom of any web page) and agree to follow all site and forum rules. If you don't follow the rules, subscriber or non-subscriber, you could possibly get banned. However, banishments are almost always a last resort and are a relatively rare occurrence considering the number of members we have. Most banishments actually only occur after someone attempts to retaliate in some fashion against OLS, the moderators or myself.

When a member is banned, technically all that means is that he/she can no longer post or view any forum that requires a regular OLS membership to access (this includes the sweep notes). By default, a banned member can still access the sweeps directory and use MySweeps like they normally could. Only in the most extreme cases will a member ever be totally banned from the entire site.

Why is OLS now offering paid subscriptions?

Most of our members want the added benefits and features. In fact, it was a group of our members who originally suggested a paid membership offering, almost 2 years ago.
It's the easiest and best way to reward our site's biggest contributors, including everyone who has made a cash donation to OLS. With our premium membership subscriptions in place, our members can now get something of value in return for their contributions and donations.
Several of the more advanced features that will be made available would be all but impossible to give away freely to everyone who visits OLS. Entry tracking in MySweeps is a good example. It would probably be very hard on the server if it were available to everyone.
By selling paid subscriptions, OLS will no longer depend solely on advertising as it's only source of revenue. This is the one big, important lesson that almost all web sites learned the hard way after the Internet bubble burst- you've got to diversify your sources of revenue. Business models that depend solely on advertising revenues are likely doomed to failure, and indeed that's exactly what happened when the bubble burst a few years ago. As the advertising market dried up, web sites began dropping like flies.
The additional revenue will be partially used to invest in additional features and capabilities that might not be possible otherwise. Some examples include increased server capacity, proprietary chatroom software, and the possibility of eventually being able to hire employees (who, BTW, will in all probability come from our hardy corps of dedicated OLS Volunteers).
And last but certainly not least, selling subscriptions will give myself a much better chance to actually make a decent living running this web site. If OLS is going to survive, I have to be able to be able to support myself with it over the long haul. I've scrapped by over the last couple of years, but I actually think OLS could survive without ever selling subscriptions. However, I would much rather continue to focus my energies on building the best web site I possibly can for sweepers, than building a web site that's conducive and beholden to advertisers. And it's hard to do both at the same time.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Related Information:
Introducing... OLS Premium Membership Subscriptions (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122603) (this page)

OLS Premium Membership - [4/2 Update] (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123613)

OLS Premium Membership - [4/18 Update] (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127730)

OLS Premium Membership - [5/1 Update] (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131016)

Paid Subscriptions (http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/subscriptions.php?) - purchase a subscription and check your current subscription status

sukey
March 29th, 2004, 11:50pm
yeah!!!!

Dawggy
March 29th, 2004, 11:55pm
I would LOVE to be a subscriber but I guess I will be left out, we live on a single disbility income of 780 bux a month and cant afford to pay for any online site..

I will enjoy what we get for free unless I win a contest with some extra money

This is still the best site there is on the net for sweeps whether I am a subby or not.
:(
:(

But I do understand that subs help pay bandwith bills and think Brent is doing the right thing.

Dawggy

allycat
March 29th, 2004, 11:59pm
That's the info I was waiting for......THANK YOU BRENT!!! :wink3: I've always wondered how you were able to do this for free. I've had so much fun being a part of your OLS family and am excited to become a "premium member" :cheer: . Thanks again, and I hope to someday meet some of the wonderful people here if there is ever a get together near Tennessee!

rojo13864
March 30th, 2004, 12:14am
WOOT! I saw this earlier and was thrilled that it will be up and running! All that OLS gives can't be summed up in a few sentences..OLS is Hope, fun, friendship and always knowing the door is open 24/7!! :cheer3: I also love the part where no one will ever be excluded from the site (unless it's infractions..to the rules :laugh: ) :cheer3: Huge hugs to OLS! :grouphug:

Krystal
March 30th, 2004, 12:15am
WooHoo!!! Cant wait to see all the new features Brent! Thanks for OS and all your hard work.

nvtribefan
March 30th, 2004, 12:18am
to be an official-paid-up-member?

L122Y
March 30th, 2004, 12:18am
:cheer: Now I know what I can spend my birthday money on!

Scibba
March 30th, 2004, 12:20am
Is there some concidence between "TAX DAY" and paid subscription? HEEHEE, just kidding, I will gladly join. I've learned alot and won alot from OLS. Thanks!

Vikki2003
March 30th, 2004, 12:27am
Dawggy...don't feel bad, you won't be the only one who can not afford this upgrade :(
I too will not be able to upgrade, cause we just don't have the money to spare.....

I know that those of us who can not afford this will still be able to enjoy sweeping here at OLS! I really do love this place and I do understand that it isn't free to keep it up and running.....

chinchilla
March 30th, 2004, 12:34am
The additional revenue will be partially used to invest in additional features and capabilities that might not be possible otherwise. And the rest... beer and nachos. :D :laugh: :rofl3:

smartykat
March 30th, 2004, 12:34am
WTG Brent!!:cheer6:

kt :gvibes:

songcat
March 30th, 2004, 12:35am
Wow Brent!! I'm impressed!! It's about time and now KB can get off your back! :grin2:

venus_de_milo
March 30th, 2004, 12:38am
Looking forward to all my premium perks. ;)

This is a very well done site, and I feel quite comfortable in paying to support it. Thanks also for making the free part of the site just as functional and fun!

CouponAholic
March 30th, 2004, 12:50am
I'd like to support this, but I HATE paypal and refuse to use it. Darn. They jipped me out of over $300. :nono: Honestly I see that and I cringe. Sorry Brent. :hello:

Heather
March 30th, 2004, 12:56am
It's true no site could ever come close to this one, but I still can't believe my eyes. :usee:
This has been long in coming and I think everyone will be MORE than pleased with their premium subscription!! Thank you, Brent, and I look forward to seeing the changes that evolve in the future. Nonetheless, I'm still in shock, lol! :shocked4:

Heather
March 30th, 2004, 12:59am
I'd like to support this, but I HATE paypal and refuse to use it. Darn. They jipped me out of over $300. :nono: Honestly I see that and I cringe. Sorry Brent. :hello:

I'm very sorry you feel that way! :( However, I've used paypal numerous times for over 3 years and have always had good experiences with it!! :)

IwannaWin2
March 30th, 2004, 1:01am
:hello: In and paid for - the $30 will roll in soon in form of BIG prizes - keeping my fingers crossed.

boobear1111
March 30th, 2004, 1:04am
Is it crazy that I'm unemployed and am pinching pennies everywhere, yet am determined to find a way to come up with the extra $30.00? :)

I love this site and spend way too much time here everyday. It deserves to be supported!

Bigfootsmother
March 30th, 2004, 1:25am
Brent, is there another way to pay besides using PayPal?

If you would prefer to mail a check or money order for payment, please send a PM to Brent for instructions.

Pansy
March 30th, 2004, 1:28am
Thanks Brent for all your hard work. Just sent my 30.00 and a PM since I changed my email addy here.

JoyfulNois
March 30th, 2004, 1:35am
Count me in!
Considering how much time I spend on this site anyway, it's cheap rent! :yesyes:

Heather
March 30th, 2004, 1:38am
If you would prefer to mail a check or money order for payment, please send a PM to Brent for instructions.

PMing Brent for other solutions is the way to go, if you absolutely do NOT want to use paypal.. but I would recommend sending a money order. :)

mk_lady75
March 30th, 2004, 2:02am
AWESOME! I will definitely take advantage of the paid subscription! This is the BEST site for sweeps!

Lutzplay2
March 30th, 2004, 2:16am
Congrats! Its finally here! When will I get the beer and nachos??? LOL :goodevil:

ShadowMagician
March 30th, 2004, 2:17am
Brent can you tell me which part of the sweeps will be excluded for normal members. I am only 15 and don't care for most of the sweeps except the video games and the technological stuff.

Thanks. I was wondering if you will change the layout a little bit now that there will be some big changes done to the site. Thanks.

sjr1535
March 30th, 2004, 2:26am
Brent,

I donated $25 my first year as a member just because I felt you deserved it. This is a great form of entertainment and for serious sweepers, $30 is a good deal for the additional benefits. It is far more sophisticated than any other sweep site.

I never thought I was lucky but since joining OLS, I have won several great prizes and enjoyed a lot of small prizes, free samples, and good deals that are worth a lot more than $30 per year. Although I don't often participate in the community activities, I value the fact that they are available.

Best of luck!!

Sandy

Arcadian
March 30th, 2004, 2:27am
Thanks Brent,

Wow that was really easy. two clicks via paypal and voilla....I'm now premiumed.

Thank you, I can't wait to see the new premium features.

Pam

graboid9
March 30th, 2004, 2:31am
done and done...glad thats over with...now to do some premium sweeping

sundropkiss
March 30th, 2004, 2:39am
WOOHOO! I am a premium member! I need the extra room in mysweeps for those one times I forget I enter. :cheer:

Marilyn
March 30th, 2004, 2:45am
HOORAY! Been waitin' for this announcement! :cheer7:

TigerWitch
March 30th, 2004, 3:02am
As soon as I get paid, I'm going to be a premium member. It's worth it and the price is very reasonable. Thanks for all your hard work!!!!!

:cheer7: :cheer7: :cheer7:

UltraSonoTech
March 30th, 2004, 3:55am
Is it crazy that I'm unemployed and am pinching pennies everywhere, yet am determined to find a way to come up with the extra $30.00? :)

No, you're not crazy at all!! (Just don't ask anyone who isn't an OLSer!!) :)

Bigfootsmother
March 30th, 2004, 4:04am
PMing Brent for other solutions is the way to go, if you absolutely do NOT want to use paypal.. but I would recommend sending a money order. :)

I just copied what Brent posted after you click on paid subscriptions, thought it would be helpful

GinGin
March 30th, 2004, 4:52am
Can I please mail a check instead of using paypal?

I will be so happy to be a paid member here! :cheer:

$30 a year isnt' bad. There are a lot of ways to save $30 for the OS membership fee even if you are on a very tight budget.

For example....Do you go out eveymorning and get yourself a cup of coffee on the way to work?

If you do, that is a cost of roughly $30 a month. Instead of grabbing coffee at the wawa for a month....give yourself 10 extra minutes to brew a pot at your home, take it with you in a mug. Take the money that you would spend on coffee and throw it in a jar.

Wala!...U now have your $30 yearly- subscription fee just cause you opted to make your own cup of mud!

:hello: -GinGin

datagal
March 30th, 2004, 6:39am
YES!!!

Signed up this morning.

Thanks Brent and all who support and/or contribute to this site.

witwidow
March 30th, 2004, 6:43am
:hello: Hey Brent ,
gonna get the paid sub. asap. I like some other newbies have been wondering how you do it all. I never knew about donations, guess i'm too new here. But i would have donated if i did. I love this place!! Everyone is friendly, everybody (well almost) hoots for you when you win, people pray or send good vibes when you need it. Theres a whole bunch of friends I never knew. theres things about the site I dont understand, but I'm working on it.
Any way, i love it here, and hope you and the others involved are able to keep it going for a long , long time.
take care,
joyce

Laurie
March 30th, 2004, 6:52am
Yay! Finally! I have been waiting for this. Hard to believe so many of us have been eagerly waiting to PAY!! :grin2: Will be paying tomorrow since I have a rental laptop while my computer is getting fixed. Am looking forward to all the added features. Thanks so much Brent for a great site. You deserve this so much for all your hard work!!! :cheer:

DrJohn
March 30th, 2004, 6:57am
WOOT!!!
I have been anxiously waiting for this announcement!
I was out of work when I came here,and I was worried about paying;then,I got a job,and wanted to pay;NOW,I'm out of work again,but thanks to the contests,I was able to pick out one of my "G" rated picture captions,and the wonderful people here voted me a WINNER!
Brent,thanks to you and your hard work,I have won several nice prizes and "met" people that will be friends to me,for the rest of my life!

I think I'm gonna tear up....

NOT!!!
This place keeps me grinning too much!

SeaAngel
March 30th, 2004, 6:58am
Being the cave dweller that I am, I had never used paypal before and was quite nervous as I headed over to purchase my sub. However, I am pleased to report that the process was both quick and painless. Thanks Brent! :gvibes:

metallicvin
dont have the money now:(

witwidow
:cheer: :cheer: Yeah!! I'm now a premium subscriber!! That couldn't have been easier to do!!
Good luck today everyone!! :grouphug:

ctf101
March 30th, 2004, 7:01am
I'm in! This is the best site out there and I wouldn't hesitate to help Brent & the OLS team out. I'm just thankful I can afford it. I think it's wonderful that you're still providing a free service to anyone that still wants to participate, Brent. It's nice to hear someone cares more about "community" than about the money! YOU ALL ROCK!!!!

irish501
March 30th, 2004, 7:30am
:fairy5: :fairy5: :hello:
I just signed up for the 3 month subscription and next time will sign up for the larger one. I love feeling like a part of a family!!

bluenude3
March 30th, 2004, 7:30am
How bout everyone whose birthday is tax day gets a free membership? :laugh:

Just got mine, I know about all the hard work that goes into posting, validating, moderating, and keeping servers up. $2.50/ Month is a bargin as far as I'm concerned. I probably spend more money on gum every month and that doesn't win me anything except refreshing breath. :)

Keep up the good work and way to finally take the leap!

Simone

elainmir
March 30th, 2004, 7:57am
I am in and paid for this morning! :cheer: Thank you Brent for all you have done to make this the best place in the world to sweep.

I to had some previous problems with Paypal, I quit using them because they would NEVER email your password if you forgot it, so I would request it via snail mail and it was like pulling teeth to get it. But they must have revamped everything because skeptically I used it this morning to pay for my OLS membership and it worked like a charm and didnt give me any grief what so ever! :cheer:

flitters
March 30th, 2004, 8:01am
I'm in! Just paid and well worth it to me! Thanks for offering such a well organized friendly place to while away the hours. :hello: :grin2:

Sally

smallberries
March 30th, 2004, 8:19am
Brent,

I picked up a new 2004 Chrysler Pacifica this week largely paid for with my winnings from a sweep I found through OLS. You deserve to make something for your efforts. B'sides, I knew the money I was putting into my PayPal account from selling junk on Ebay would come in handy some day!

thanks,

smallberries

Tacy
March 30th, 2004, 8:31am
Spending hours a day entering sweeps and reading the forums here on OLS is SAVING me money! I don't shop online or in stores for recreation anymore (of course, it's really difficult to get me to leave my computer now, :grin2: ). I've lost 5 pounds in the last month from not snacking as much as well. Compared to my Curves membership where I actually gained 5 pounds, the $30 membership is the best bargain I've ever found! THANK YOU Brent and OLS members!

guruwan2b
March 30th, 2004, 8:43am
Drat! Didn't have enough money in my Paypal account. Had to transfer more in. I will be paid up as soon as it shows up in my account.

Is this thread sticky?

Thanks for everything Brent and everyone else at OLS. I'm sure I will use this a lot more than I did my ancestry.com subscription, or my classmates.com or my....

Kasey
March 30th, 2004, 8:44am
NOW I KNOW I LOVE YOU BRENT :love: :flirt:

Current
March 30th, 2004, 8:51am
I clicked on the Paid Subscription link that Brent provided to check out the page. If a person prefers to use a check or a money order to pay, PM him and he will give instructions on how to do that.

I also noticed that at the bottom of that page, there is an option to purchase a membership as a gift for another member, which I think is a wonderful thing! As soon as I am able to do so, I am going to "pay it forward" for someone. So many people here have done so many nice things for me and my family and as soon as I go back to work and can afford it, I plan on trying to repay some of the kindness shown to me. What a nice way to be able do a "random act of kindness".

Brent, the gift membership is a wonderful idea!!!! :grouphug: :gift: :gvibes:

CouponAholic
March 30th, 2004, 9:01am
I clicked on the Paid Subscription link that Brent provided to check out the page. If a person prefers to use a check or a money order to pay, PM him and he will give instructions on how to do that.

I also noticed that at the bottom of that page, there is an option to purchase a membership as a gift for another member, which I think is a wonderful thing! As soon as I am able to do so, I am going to "pay it forward" for someone. So many people here have done so many nice things for me and my family and as soon as I go back to work and can afford it, I plan on trying to repay some of the kindness shown to me. What a nice way to be able do a "random act of kindness".

Brent, the gift membership is a wonderful idea!!!! :grouphug: :gift: :gvibes:

Current - That is an awesome idea! :grouphug:

kj39
March 30th, 2004, 9:10am
I am very pleased to pay to join this org. PLEASE tell me clearly where to send payment or if if it is paypal payment, what the email address for payment is.

Thanks and regards,
Kate R.
kjjjrivas@aol.com
Member Id is KJ39

feline~ fantastic
March 30th, 2004, 9:16am
EEP!! What a jolt to see first thing before my coffee!! :grin2: I knew it was coming. Biggest decision for me now is deciding which of the other two sweepsheets I subscribe to will bite the dust in lieu of this one. Really shouldn't matter much since i've never won anything from any of them, but I enjoy the comradre and chit-chat here best. I have been in my own little world happily pecking away here all this time & honestly, I could probably get by with just the basics because i've never explored this site as I should. The only thing i'm familier with is the forums, navigating around the home page, and "my sweeps". I've never even checked out the snail-mail link to see what kinds of things you got going. Needn't bother since I can't keep up with all my newsletters now for snails. :tired: Perhaps I ought to run over now & check things out. Regardless, i'm in just because I want to help the webmaster & all the good folks who work so hard on here. :grouphug: Well actually, the real reason is.. I want to be cool too :cheer4: :cool3:
Oh, and that rock i've been under all these years have prevented me from knowing and/or wanting to know anything about paypal, so I shall pm Brent pronto to get those instructions for sending a check.
Rock on OLS!!!

bazeball
March 30th, 2004, 9:20am
I'm definitely IN!!!

knightsweeper
March 30th, 2004, 9:20am
I just joined. I just clicked on the blue link in Brent's message that said Paid Subscriptions and it took me right to it. It was my first time with Paypal, but was very easy. I have won so much throught this site. :bounce:

Embee
March 30th, 2004, 9:23am
I accidently (on purpose??) signed up before I intended to, but I'm glad to be a paid member of the best site around!! You rock Brent! :toss:

massbear
March 30th, 2004, 9:24am
Just paid for my 1 year membership. Thanks ! :twocents:

redthang914
March 30th, 2004, 9:24am
Since I have been actively seeking employment (since last May), I'm afriad that I won't be able to join the group. I understand that I'll be missing out on alot and that it costs a ton of money to do what Brent does here, but when you can't even afford any other luxuries in life I guess I'll have to pass up this super opportunity and hope that they still have some good sweeps on the non-paying end. Unless I can win some $$$$$$ I am exretemely doubtful. So Sorry that I am such a failure at everything!!!!!!!

Nelene
March 30th, 2004, 9:31am
Just don't take all the GOOD sweeps away Breant!!! I'd join if I could but can't. Maybe later tho when my ship comes in!!!!!!

NAL027
March 30th, 2004, 9:33am
I just paid for my 1 year subscription. WTG Brent ! ~ Your site is well worth paying for. You deserve it for all the work and money you put into this ! !

ey_re
March 30th, 2004, 9:33am
I am signing up for the three month period, since I only have $20 in my PayPal! I will renew for a year after that I think, if I sell stuff on Ebay and can save it! :) This is great, thank you! :)

philstacy
March 30th, 2004, 9:34am
I would like to hear the plans for Phase II. If there is a contest for free member ship I plan to enter.

LifeIsBeautiful
March 30th, 2004, 9:39am
Ok.. a question for myself and for other Canadians. Do we have to pay the same price? We don't have the same number of contests as you Americans, so how would that work? I enjoy coming here, but I don't see the advantage if I have to pay full price. But I don't want to miss out. Could someone please address this for me? Thanks!

Txsweeper
March 30th, 2004, 9:50am
Well it's done! I'm a verified Premium member!! Thanks Brent, I really enjoy being a part of your community and can't thank you enough for the time and effort you've put into this site! You're the best!!

SulaDuck
March 30th, 2004, 9:58am
:cheer: I did it! I slew the PayPal dragon who kept telling me that I didn't know my mother's maiden name or where I was born. :grin2: So I'm in! :cool:

Cher
March 30th, 2004, 10:01am
I was very happy to join today. Thanks for the great site, Brent. I look forward to all the new changes. :)

philstacy
March 30th, 2004, 10:10am
If Canadians get a discount for fewer contests so should people living in Florida.

Gomez
March 30th, 2004, 10:18am
Let me be the first to say I hope Brent makes a fortune with this fantastic website!

What a great country where hard work, determination and a bit of luck can make a buck. For example a website for Pez candy dispenser collectors made one guy a multi-millionaire, maybe even a billionaire now. The guy's girlfreind/wife was into collecting Pez dispensers, she asked her techie man to make a website to help her and friends trade the things, they started using the site for trading other things, one thing led to another and the website became the world's largest marketplace with daily volume exceeding the whole Wal-mart corporation. The site I'm talking about oe of course eBay.com.

elainmir
March 30th, 2004, 10:19am
Hey guys lets not start a debate about who should pay based on where they live and what they can enter......Brent and the editors/mods have worked so hard....lets not go trying to fix something that ain't broke.....

Gomez
March 30th, 2004, 10:22am
If Canadians get a discount for fewer contests so should people living in Florida.

Canadians and Floridians will have to decide for themselves if the benefits are worth the cost.

"You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

mgkamish
March 30th, 2004, 10:42am
I've died and gone to heaven! I'm SO pleased to finally be able to pay Brent for this wonderful site. I just wish I had gotten up early enough to be the first!! :) :) :)

redjen
March 30th, 2004, 10:47am
I'm officially a premium member and very excited about the new features! I have a paypal account but never used it, it was pretty easy and DEFINITELY worth it! I LOVE THIS SITE :cheer:

lucky13
March 30th, 2004, 10:56am
:soapbox: I'm on a limited income, but love OLS and am willing to give up sodas or candy for a year to become a member. $30 a year is not a bad deal for all the fun you have at this site! Thanks for all your hard work, Brent.

piccadilly99
March 30th, 2004, 11:01am
You are now officially stuck with me for 1 year Brent. Lucky you :hello: .

beachbrat
March 30th, 2004, 11:09am
Darn it, can't afford it right now but am having a garage sale soon and that will be first on my list. I would also prefer to pay by check because I don't have a paypal account.
I think it would be fun to win big and use some of the $ to pay for some of those who can't afford it. There are some really special sweepers here who deserve it.
:bubbles:

groovyguru
March 30th, 2004, 11:13am
You got my money. You deserve it. BTW I offered a free membership as a prize in a past members sweep. Can an editor/moderator find that member who won, verify the member is active, and I will pay for a year for them?

Thanks
Jon

AlliGator2
March 30th, 2004, 11:17am
I too was waiting for this information so I could become a "Premium member" which I just did. I paid my subscription through Paypal. The only thing though is that the Paypal account we have is in my husband's name and he doesn't do these sweeps, just reaps the rewards when we win a sweep (of course, just like a man). Anyway, thanks Brent - Gatorsnatch2 is now an official Premium Member!!! :cheer:

debiwelbon
March 30th, 2004, 11:20am
/
I just paid for my membership - now what? Will it automatically update me and give me the member only sweeps or what??

Jadeddreamer
March 30th, 2004, 11:22am
Brent I sent you a pm Im ready to send a check. I have won far more than $30.00 a year so its well worth joining.Thanks!

HASAMA
March 30th, 2004, 11:37am
i would just like to stick my 2 cents in first off brett congratulations on making this move it was well deserved on your part and i hope it turns out fruitful

$30 is a lot of money to me as well at the present time a year ago i would have paid for 100 members to join but i joined anyway it breaks down to around 1.25 per week, what can you do that is so enjoyble for 1.25 a week that is a little over 1 lottery ticket per week and you are getting so much more

there should not be any discussions about discounts etc, bretts site, bretts rule and a lot of hard work and effort went into both try to please everyone

even for the u s people or the people who live out of new yew or florida where a lot of contests are banned should there be a discount for them or for others because they only want to enter one type of contest

think about please we have had a free ride long enough and it is really about time we showed our thanks and appreciation

i also am on a very limited income at present, but this week i am just not doing any more driving than necessary and not filling up my car

Reverie
March 30th, 2004, 11:43am
Just a suggestion - perhaps those who can't afford a paid membership could consider offering items for sale or trade in exchange for paid membership? Since the gift membership option is so readily available, it would seem to me to be a fairly easy trade. I'm not sure but I hope it would work. :)

alexx
March 30th, 2004, 11:58am
I sent in a donation before Sept 2003 from what I read it can be credited to my subscription.does that show up anywhere before I pay.

debiwelbon
March 30th, 2004, 12:09pm

debiwelbon
March 30th, 2004, 12:10pm
I was still wondering - I have paid - now what? Is there a special sign-in page for members or what? How does this work now?

Current
March 30th, 2004, 12:12pm
I wouldn't worry Debiwelbon, I am sure that your membership will be fine. The changes haven't taken place yet, but I am sure that Brent will make note of your payment.

Shooter
March 30th, 2004, 12:12pm
to be an official-paid-up-member?

I think I was - beat you by more than an hour!!

tawneej
March 30th, 2004, 12:19pm
Done! Didn't even need to read Brent's entire post with the FAQs. Whatever I get for my subscription is worth every penny of the $30 to me. :cheer:

guan00
March 30th, 2004, 12:20pm
Just curious that if someone wants to post a contest for everyone on OLS can they decide that it is just for the premium members or can the person posting insist it is for everyone?

MacTrans
March 30th, 2004, 12:20pm
I'm sending my membership via paypal and now I'm wondering. Will there be a special sign in page or will we have to have a password to get to the members only stuff?

I think this is a great sight and I always wondered how you were able to do it for free as there is a lot of time and work involved.

Xan
March 30th, 2004, 12:35pm
I'm in too, just sent the money. I intend to win enough to more than cover that with the new setup!! :wink3: :wink3:

mgkamish
March 30th, 2004, 12:43pm
I can just see it.....April 15th......first new posting....."How many sweeps do YOU have in YOUR MySweeps????"

If you enter all of Hasama's, you win! (P.S. Still thanking you every day, Hasama!)

MShopper63
March 30th, 2004, 12:52pm
Hi, I only joined this board a few months ago and have already won some great merchandise. I joined the premium service and paid through paypal. Thanks for all your hard work. You truely deserve to make a little money. Just look at all the people who have benefited from your research and hard work.
Hats off to you!!

BridgetF
March 30th, 2004, 1:04pm
I'm subscribed! Yay! :cheer:

Thanks for making it an EASY "PAY-PAL" purchase Brent!

magel86
March 30th, 2004, 1:15pm
What contests would we miss out on? Are they OS member contests? Big Prize type?
I don't mind joining but I am confused by what will be sectioned off for paying members only. If we post it could it go into member only area's and not be found by the non-paying members?

With the exception of the 20 - 30% of sweeps that will be reserved exclusively for premium membership subscribers, and the addition of a very moderate amount of advertising (no pop-ups), non-subscribers will still have access to all the current forums, sweep notes, MySweeps features and other areas and functionality of the site that all registered OLS members currently has access to now.

LollieK
March 30th, 2004, 1:15pm
I'm in! Now if only the OS Gods will shine down upon me and let me win something other than $5.00 instants! :)

Chrysie
March 30th, 2004, 1:16pm
:cheer: Thank you, Brent! I can't wait to see the new features! Also, for those who have never used PayPal like myself. You do not need a paypal account to pay. Just a credit card. Very simple. :smile2:

PurpleyKC
March 30th, 2004, 1:22pm
I just wanted to say I'm glad Brent is finally going to get what he deserves! I am not able to sign up right now. I have two kids a 2 adn 1 year old and 0 income I have to get diapers and all that with what little money I do scratch up. My B-day is coming up on the 4th so maybe I will get some money adn can join. I would really love to contribute! Hope all us have big wins this year!
Kristi :grin2:

Wannawin
March 30th, 2004, 1:26pm
Yea! :jump:

Karen_246
March 30th, 2004, 1:29pm
Did someone say beer and nachos :laugh: :laugh:

Karen

sammi1
March 30th, 2004, 1:36pm
I am fairly new here,, wondered how on earth this site existed without some kind of membership,,such a wonderfull site. I am thrilled to become a premium member!

chrissybum
March 30th, 2004, 1:41pm
:jump: Yippee, I just signed up and am really excited to get started! Thanks Brent :jump:

mistydowg
March 30th, 2004, 1:47pm
I want to share my thoughts and they are not intended to hurt anyone's feelings. I have read probably about 70% of the posts here, and by far there are more positive reactions to the new subscription service than negative ones. Some folks here that are newbies may be out of work or on disability, and can't come up with the funds. Possibly, there could be a reduced subscription fee for the disabled (they would have to prove to Brent that they receive S.S. or medicaid). For the newbies, when they join OLS, there could be an offering of a free 3 or 6 month trial of the subscription service.

I've only been a member since 10/2002, so I don't qualify under the founding members. I have made many sweeps submissions throughout my membership period.

I guess my thought is this: it takes active members to support a website like this by submitting sweepstakes that they come upon throughout their internet travels. I don't know what percentages of sweepstakes the webmaster and moderators provide, however, I would guess that it is not as much as the common everyday sweep member. Is there a chance that if I submit a new sweep that doesn't already exist on OLS, and I don't have a subscription membership...is it possible that I may not be able to access my original sweep because it was chosen as one of the 25-30% of sweeps only for subscribers? Possibly. It seems that members are submitting the sweeps, and that some of these sweeps are going to be shielded from those without subscriptions. On the other hand, I do also realize that running a site like this does cost some amount of money.

baxcar
March 30th, 2004, 1:48pm
Okay, that was easy....I'm paid up.

Gomez
March 30th, 2004, 2:19pm
I am fairly new here,, wondered how on earth this site existed without some kind of membership,,such a wonderfull site. I am thrilled to become a premium member!

Many of us gave voluntary cash donations. There are also some affiliate monies earned by the site but I imagine those are pretty insignificant.

Twinkles
March 30th, 2004, 2:33pm
Fantastic news!!! :) I believe, this web-site is well-worth paying ~ $30 per year! Online-Sweepstakes is such an awesome, and out-standing web-site!

Truly, I applaud Brent... for his remarkable abilities, creativity, and brilliant knowledge!!! (Totally amazing!).

Eventually, I'll be signing-up for premium membership... (I too, have a limited income ~ Soc. Security Disability). But, I'm sure... I'll be able to budget, enough ~ to pay the $30 fee.

For the time-being... I would like to express my appreciation, for: the decision that you've made to continue to allow "free access" --> to OLS members... regardless of non-payment!

--> Brent, you are: a "Sweet-heart"! :love:

Wishing you... an abundance of happiness, success, and prosperity!

Sincerely,

TrishMc107
March 30th, 2004, 2:56pm
The check will be in the mail when I get the info.

Good luck.

grasslady
March 30th, 2004, 4:04pm
I Must Be Asleep To Have Not Seen This Post! I Will Be Sending The Money As Soon As Brent Tells Me Where!! Ols Is The Best Ever And I Would Be Lost Without It! :)

lexuso4
March 30th, 2004, 4:26pm
I commend you for running the site for so long without a subscription. It looks like it takes alot of time for whoall has to keep this up. I am also on a one income family but as soon as i can get my hands on $30.00 extra i will be sending a money order and when the address of where to send it is known. I would also like to thank you for allowing us to continue to be able to access this site. I was a non believer of sweeping until i won basketball tickets in a local sweeps last year now im hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
:grouphug:

P.S. i LOVE the people on this site!!! :hello:

tinytiger
March 30th, 2004, 4:42pm
I'm happy to subscribe! One month as a member and I have won a bunch of stuff. It is fun to read the posts and lurk on the different threads. A year of great entertainment for $30.
Thanks Brent! :shocked3:

Fflur
March 30th, 2004, 4:50pm
Gosh, Ive missed alot! School has fried my brain...things look great here, I think I made a donation last year...I dont remember. Great work thought Brent! :cheer6:

sherlock
March 30th, 2004, 7:16pm
I guess my thought is this: it takes active members to support a website like this by submitting sweepstakes that they come upon throughout their internet travels. I don't know what percentages of sweepstakes the webmaster and moderators provide, however, I would guess that it is not as much as the common everyday sweep member. Is there a chance that if I submit a new sweep that doesn't already exist on OLS, and I don't have a subscription membership...is it possible that I may not be able to access my original sweep because it was chosen as one of the 25-30% of sweeps only for subscribers? Possibly. It seems that members are submitting the sweeps, and that some of these sweeps are going to be shielded from those without subscriptions. On the other hand, I do also realize that running a site like this does cost some amount of money.

These are good points. Personally, I do not see what the incentive for anyone to post new sweeps will be when there is a division between paying and non-paying members.

When the site is free for all, then posting new sweeps is a way to contribute to the site. In the future, those who have paid $30/year may feel they have "given at the office", so to speak, and feel no need to add new sweeps to the site.

For the non-paying members, they gain nothing by posting new sweeps that may only be visible to premium members. This will be true unless there is a guarantee that new sweeps posted by non-payers will always be available to all. Maybe others think differently, but that's my view, and if it's shared by others, will definitely decrease the number of sweeps listed on this site. For example, a very nice family trip to San Diego would never have been won by an OLS member if this policy (without the "guarantee" modification) had been in effect. I know because I posted the contest, and you can figure out the rest.

KINGSWEEPER
March 30th, 2004, 7:32pm
:royal: I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MEMBERSHIP FEE AT ALL
THIS WILL WEED OUT AL THE LOOKYLU'S
AND THE TAKERS
I WILL BE A
PROUD
MEMBER OF
OLS
COUNT ME IN
:cheer:

AlliGator2
March 30th, 2004, 7:37pm
:soapbox: I too am disabled and live in a one income family, my husband works. I was able to pay the subscription but understand very well those who aren't able to do so (I haven't been able to work for the past couple of years). I think that Brent and all of those who help in keeping this site running and being the very best one around, will be able to put their collective heads together and come up with something that will be good for those who can't subscribe due to limited funds, disability, or something that prevents them from subscribing. As I said, I was able to come up with the money at this time to become a member but that may not always be the case. I know that sweeping has helped me pass the time and I feel as though I know some of you through your posts. Sweeping is a source of great fun and enjoyment to me and to read the posts and participate in the forums when I feel the urge. This site is tops and I'm sure that it will continue to be the best - for us all. :twocents:

eyowyn
March 30th, 2004, 7:40pm
I havent paid yet; I made a couple donations last year via paypal and I'm waiting to see if Brent finds them, but regardless, when my budget starts again April 10th, I'll use some play money and do it. I personally have misssed the PAYPAL logo on the homepage and felt guilty some nights by not donating because I pactically live here.
I have never posted a new sweep. Seems by the time I find one someone already has it posted here! But I still look and contribute answers when I know them. I dont think some people will do less because they dont have a paid membership. I think we have found a great site where most everyone wants the others to do well also and the friendliness and group support will continue to be our strength.

marialuisa
March 30th, 2004, 7:52pm
Hi,

I only post answers once in a while. I enjoy the site very much. I run a yahoogroup and post sweeps which I find through google but this site has been wonderful to find expired sweeps and find out what I won, etc...Thanks for the great job.

I will join as soon as I can my hands on the money since hubby is only working part-time right now.

Thanks again!!!

Sincerely,

marialuisa

kahalaave
March 30th, 2004, 8:01pm
:cheer: I just paid for my membership...THANK YOU BRENT FOR OFFERING THIS!

I feel that people who say that they "cannot" afford this should maybe persue another hobby?
If you have a computer at home,then you are paying for the internet services. If you enter by snail mail,then there are all kind of expenses there: stamps,envelopes,newsletters,2 x 5 cards,etc.
If you win a prize worth $599 or above then you will be paying taxes on it.

I wonder if those same people who complain about paying for the membership only enter sweeps with prizes under the $599 mark?

The price is perfect for me as I think of ALL the prizes I have won from entering sweeps posted on this site-like the Vegas trip I won last year worth almost $3,000!

I understand about having a limited income...been there-if you can't afford the 30.00 at one pop-how about trying it for a few months? oh knows,maybe you will get lucky and win a big prize.
Also,since your membership is a subscription,it counts as an expense so you can deduct it from your taxes! ooh an added bonus!

marialuisa
March 30th, 2004, 8:04pm
Hi, Charmaine!

This is Wanda...I just paid $600 for my daughter's competition and that is why I can't afford $30 until we get our Tax money back.....

Glad to know you are here.

W-

Christel
March 30th, 2004, 8:40pm
I sent money last year so hopefully Brent is able to credit my account for this-this was back when he first talked about having yearly dues. I never got confirmation that he received my check even though I sent him a PM asking if he got it. Hopefully he did. I am happy to pay for access and support this website since I have won several nice prizes due to contests listed on this site including a trip to Hawaii :cheer: .

frisk35
March 30th, 2004, 8:52pm
Paid my subscription this AM. I must say that this is the best site that I have seen and I can't believe that you put this together and were able to offer this for free for over 2 years. Thanks!

Styflan
March 30th, 2004, 9:00pm
I'm in also. Paid in full. Worth every penny. Now I have to go win something..... :D

amy2951
March 30th, 2004, 9:16pm
:jump: Just got the news! I am definetly in. :jump: :jump:

realguppy
March 30th, 2004, 9:33pm
Hi
Even though I have only been a member for a little over a month, I have already won more than I have done by snail mail. I just paid my $30.00 and am looking forward to what changes will happen. Keep up the good work.

mrsglowtone
March 30th, 2004, 9:40pm
OK I got over my fear of Paypal and paid for my membership. Thanks for all you do to keep this site so fantastic.

feline~ fantastic
March 30th, 2004, 10:12pm
Hey, I overcame my fear too! I don't know anything about paypal, but all's you need is a credit card for this transaction, quick, easy, and fairly painless). Just signed up for a year, Far Out!!
Now I need to back slowly away from my computer now that i've learned how to spend money online. EEK!
:grin2: :sob:

go jaguars
March 30th, 2004, 10:39pm
Thanks Brent for all your hard work and dedication!! And everyone else that makes this such a fun place. Count me in...you know I always do everything for everyone else, leaving myself on the bottom of the priority list. I really enjoy this site and everyone as well as the dreams of winning a BIG ONE!! So for once....me first...what a small price to pay for all the enjoyment I get out of it. Thanks and good luck to all!! :cheer:

pooka
March 30th, 2004, 10:59pm
This is by far the greatest sweeps site, and like all of you I've seen 'em all! I didn't hesitate to pay my thirty bucks. But I have a question. I've never posted a single contest because I am completely ignorant about the process. Copying the URL+ all that jazz. Is there a place I can go on OLS that explains it all? I've won a TON of stuff mostly on OLS. Thanks Brent for such a fantastic site.

needawinBAD
March 31st, 2004, 12:06am
For those who wonder about using Paypal, check out paypalsucks.com. Seems that Paypal has quite a reputation. :shocked:

nancy_k1
March 31st, 2004, 12:31am
I am glad that Brent finally got things up and going. I don't think I will become a paid member though. I just don't have the extra money for something like this. I haven't "won" anything anyway. What I have gotten is some great advice and some people that I consider friends. I just hope that the forums as they stand stay free. I don't enter many sweeps now at all. I did when I first joined and never won a thing so now I just enter for things I really really really want. I spend most of my time on the forums. Please don't take them away.

bojotx
March 31st, 2004, 1:21am
Count me in!! :yay:

CuzImMommy
March 31st, 2004, 1:25am
I too would love to join we've been having a rough last few years, maybe something good will happen soon and things will get better, but Im happy for OLS most seem to be very happy of the change its a great site and great people, I just hope it doesnt change much.

sassyruin
March 31st, 2004, 1:57am
ok...i am just confuse how people here want to complain about having to support brent with this website. I dont understand how you can have a computer and spend money for the internet and yet cant afford the 30 dollars. I would hope that most people would want to spend the money and support this website. I know that I have already won over 30 dollars worth and if it wasnt for this website I never would have. Yes there i guess some people can get the internet for free...but if it wasnt for brent we would not this have this website to begin with to win things. :smile5:

nickxmx
March 31st, 2004, 2:03am
:rolleyes4 Well, I haven't paid yet but I will!! Thanks Brent & co-workers for this great site!!!!!!!! I can't even imagine how much work you put into this, how do you have the time to enter anything? :grin2: I do however have a few questions........

1. Since we are getting so "sophisticated" is there no online bill pay besides paypal?

2. If you "tour" the free site for awhile how do you know what sweeps you are missing out on? Being able to enter 20-30% more sweeps is ambiguous, what kind of sweeps will be held back? And how is that determined? I don't want to miss out on anything, but you are getting me at a bad time :shocked3: - TAXES!!! I have to pay on my wonderful wins
:frown4:

3. Billing schedule - $30 for a 1-year subscription, $22.50 for 6 months, and $15 for 3 months. I don't get it. It may be easier for people to split the payment or try it out but it seems you get "penalized" for it.

I would appreciate if you could address these questions & thanks again for all you hard work.

philstacy
March 31st, 2004, 3:48am
Since a customer would be paying in advance for up to one year what provision is there to keep the site going if something happens to the owner? Also, since the nature of the site has fundamentally changed a customer can't be sure what he is paying for. The number of posts could drop off sharply, for example. The site just may not be the same in the future.

stinger
March 31st, 2004, 4:34am
Brilliant point philstacy. Anyone skeptical about sending their credit card info online SHOULD be. Scammers can easily get ahold of your credit card information and exploit it. In fact, anyone who has internet access could buy lists of these with no difficulty and a nominal fee. I would also recommend checking out http://paypalsucks.com/ Not everyone gets screwed with paypal; but those that do, get screwed hard.

I don't think the people talking about not affording it are really complaining. They are just making a statement that at this time they cannot afford it for whatever reasons; I am not going to judge their comments based on what they can and cannot afford. I welcome them to chat about whatever it is they have to chat about; even if it is not being able to afford $30 a year. I am also not in the position to decide who has enough money or not enough based on the assumed fact they are paying for internet access; it really isn't mine or anyone elses business for that matter.
Although I think there should be no push to try and reduce the cost or fee for individuals with "special" privelages. This is a private site, not the government. Brent has no obligation to reduce the fee for any reason; there is no interest in it for him. It would cause more problems then by having to verify someone is "disabled" and even more controversy on what "disabled" is.

sweepstocker
March 31st, 2004, 6:10am
This is my very first post due to having only found OLS ruffly less than a month ago. I am still learning all the different features this site has to offer and haven't master nearly probably all that it offers. Of course I haven't won a thing yet so sending in money to join a site that others seem to have belonged to for quite some time and profitted from sure I understand that they are supportive. I too would feel the same. Now a days everyone is on some type of budget. I truely would support something that I see fit also. Although I have not been here long enough to even see. I'm saddened to see that only after weeks of finding this site...not so much that the fee is being imposed but that the sweepstakes may be held back from being entered by myself from being a newbie. Something that I would think that would prove to me that if at all possible, I scorce a win on one of those that my time and efforts spent here, would make OLS a site worth sending my fee in to. Of course others have mentioned other sites for comparison....I never looked for other sites....I found this one first...and this is where I hung my hat. Maybe I will still be a winner in some of the March entries I made and that will make a believer out of me. Are we no longer seeing the same sweeps or does that start April 15th? I might have time to still be a winner and a joiner! Lots of Joy to all you here...hope I post right. :hello:

antgama
March 31st, 2004, 7:09am
to pay to use this site and as soon as I hear back from Brent where to send my money order it will be on it's way! My hubby and I have so much fun on this site and we have sure won more that $30.00 and really I can't see that $30.00 would change a persons life style over the long haul IMHO.
My hope is to be able to post a sweep someday before someone else does.
Lighten up! Sweeping is supposed to be fun!
Good Luck everyone!

bulldglit
March 31st, 2004, 8:03am
I found this site in December 2003. I have won a few instants, including $250.00 from Bankrate. Personally, I love this site and most of the people here. I guess I look at paying for this site differently. While it is about entering sweeps, it is also a hobby or entertainment for most of the people here. While I do understand that $30.00 is a lot for some people, most of us spend $30 weekly on movies, cable TV, dinners out, hobby supplies, magazines, books, CD's, DVDs, etc. In all actuality, $30 per year translates to less than 58 cents per week. I know I can't find anything as enjoyable as this site for that money.

While I don't know Brett personally, I do know that he seems to be very compassionate and intelligent. I have no problem if he decides to give away free memberships to people in dire financial straits or decide which sweeps are public or paid. If that is such a big issue, maybe Brett should consider making all the sweeps available to everyone and keeping the "My Sweeps" option available to only people that pay. That way everybody could still use the site as it is now, and the other people could bookmark their sweeps or figure another way to mark the sweeps for entry.

As for whether this site will be around at the end of the year, I really have to say get a grip. This site has been around for a long time. Even over the last 4 months, I have seen people come and go. I also notice the same people here day in and day out. There are people who have been members of this site for years, and I do not see them going anywhere now.

I also think that if you are making a determination to pay or not pay by whether you win or not win, you are definitely engaging in the wrong hobby. Brett cannot guarantee that anyone will win a sweep. That is simply out of line.

Maineiac
March 31st, 2004, 8:26am
I have absolutely no problem paying $30.00 a year for this site, in fact am going to donate a gift subscription in memory of Al Witmayer. However, your suggestion to make mysweeps the only "perk" doesn't sit well with me as I don't even use that feature. I bookmark what floats my boat instead. Personally, even the 20% exclusive sweeps isn't enough incentive for some people to join. While I'm sensitive to peoples financial priorities, I don't know of any other hobby one can persue for $30.00 a year; not to mention the advantage of winning something.

The choice is easy...is 20-30% more sweeps and enhanced mysweeps worth $30.00 per year to you? If not, don't pay. If it is, pay. There are so many sweeps now, noone would be left out. I'm assuming access to the forums remains the same...I seem to spend more time here than entering sweeps anyway.

Just my :twocents: and nothing more.

philstacy
March 31st, 2004, 8:38am
What might be fair considering the wealth differences is to keep the trip prizes exclusively for premium members since anyone who can pay taxes on a trip should be able to afford $30
for membership. I never enter trip contests since I have been unemployed since last July.
On the other hand, the least wealthy sweepers are the ones who could most benefit from cash prizes. I keep my sweeps listed in my browser favorites so I can do without My Sweeps.
Anyone on a tight budget could do the same. Just include expiration date in the rename.

HASAMA
March 31st, 2004, 8:57am
i think all major decisions should be left ot brent as he has done a fine job so far, i am sure he appreciates the suggestions but if needed he can always post a poll and get our opinions why limit what people can enter like trip sweepstakes etc, some people might not want to pay the 30 not because they can not afford it but because they choose not to

i do not think peoples financial situations should come into play and before we have a huge blow up over it we should let sleeping dogs lie

we have all been antsy waiting for this we all new it was coming and like any decision it is one we need to weight the pros and cons for ourselves :grin2:

StarbucksAddict
March 31st, 2004, 9:06am
3. Billing schedule - $30 for a 1-year subscription, $22.50 for 6 months, and $15 for 3 months. I don't get it. It may be easier for people to split the payment or try it out but it seems you get "penalized" for it.

I don't see this as being penalized for signing up for a shorter membership - instead, you're given a discount/savings if you sign up for a longer membership. We've all seen offers for magazine subscriptions; the longer the subscription you sign up for, the less you pay per issue. This is no different.

My :twocents:,
*Star

ltapenuts
March 31st, 2004, 9:13am
I agree that this is the best site ever and it is worth the 30.00. But like so many others I cannot afford the 30.00 at this point. Hopefully when I have some extra cash I to can become a member. I'm not complaining because I will still be entering sweepstakes even though I cannot afford the money but I don't think other people should just assume that since you have a computer and the internet that you can pay the 30.00. I am unemployed as of December and I am going back to school so I don't have to work another dead end job. I've had my computer before I lost my job and as far as paying for the internet, I mostly use the internet for school. So that's how I can justify paying for the internet. I enter sweepstakes to either pay some debt or for prizes to give as gifts to family members. I just don't like to see others assume you can afford it when they don't know the persons situation. Just my :twocents:

cristeen69
March 31st, 2004, 9:19am
I don't mind the subscription service but would like an alternate way to pay via money order. I don't use Paypal , to tell the truth I don't like it.

marillionflower
March 31st, 2004, 9:22am
Just my two cents...this site is worth the $30. In the future when I can afford it I will be more than happy to pay. Right now money is too tight around here. I spend over $300 a month alone on my son's prescriptions (and that is with insurance!) But in the future I will pay.

feline~ fantastic
March 31st, 2004, 9:24am
I don't mind the subscription service but would like an alternate way to pay via money order. I don't use Paypal , to tell the truth I don't like it.

OK; Now you guys are scaring me!! I used paypal to pay my subsciption against my better judgement. Should I close my credit card now??

kbsocial
March 31st, 2004, 9:26am

If you click on your user CP and then Paid Subscriptions you will see this statement:

For those that wish to not use paypal ~ I suggest going that route:)

philstacy
March 31st, 2004, 9:41am
I would cancel my credit card after using it with Paypal.

Kym
March 31st, 2004, 9:49am
I've been using Paypal since it began years ago and have never ever had a problem with it. If you already sent out your money via paypal, I wouldn't worry about it. If you haven't and want an alternate means of payment, follow KB's advice above.

:)

DrJohn
March 31st, 2004, 9:51am
If you're looking for "fair",I suggest that you wait until your local authorities have one this spring or summer. Is it "fair" for Brent to assume all of the costs associated with running this site?
If you don't want to use paypal,click on the user cp for more info.
...and,I believe that the fees will help to ensure that the site will be around for a while.

It seems that people will use most any excuse to not pay;Brent's mind is apparently made up,and I assume that a lot of thought went into his decision.
If I found myself in the position of not being able to pay(and hey,I'm unemployed,and I'm thankful that I won a subscription),I would treat this like I do everything that I can't afford:either do without it(the perks),or save up the dough.
Just my opinion...go ahead and slam me :)

dpwwin
March 31st, 2004, 9:52am
I am in!! ols has been a wonderful site for me!! even thoughI haven't won any prize over 150.00 I have won several prizes and each month I win enough instants etc. to pay for this membership and my aol account!! I know alot of people out there say it is too much but they should just try the 3 month plan and see what they think. thanks and I hope people will rethink how great this site is!

mgkamish
March 31st, 2004, 9:54am
I disagree about people not adding as many sweepstakes as they used to. I, for one, sometimes don't enter a "small" sweep because I know I don't have room for it in MySweeps. Now that that won't be a factor, I'll be adding many more sweeps than I used to add. Just another angle....

billie oh 3
March 31st, 2004, 10:04am
I can 't pay either I am waiting for my my connection to to quit I can; even pay the $10.95 for the net.

Scibba
March 31st, 2004, 10:11am
I guess I'm fortunate enough to come from a 2-person income home - and am an avid Ebay seller, so I have funds in my PayPal (I love PayPal!!!) to afford the $30.00. I don't see $30 as an 'outrageous' fee or too much to ask. When you break it down it comes to around .08/day!

I was a frequent user of the Redhotsweeps site and believe that they 'bit the dust' because of lack of support. Although that site still exists, it's not as useful as OS. I can't imagine running such a website such as OS for free.

I do feel, too, though that limiting the sweeps is not really just considering ALL members can post sweeps (unless this is one of the 'premium-member only' perks). I've been to other forums where a non-paid membership limits the posting in certain forums? Perhaps that would be more suitable?

Just my thoughts

sheryly
March 31st, 2004, 10:13am
I'm embarassed to ask but I went to paypal and gladly paid my 30.00 but how do I tell if I have premium membership, everything still looks the same to me.
thanks,

carogonza
March 31st, 2004, 10:20am
OK; Now you guys are scaring me!! I used paypal to pay my subsciption against my better judgement. Should I close my credit card now??
\
Carla,
I have used Paypal for years now. I used them before Ebay took them over and I have never had any problem.

philstacy
March 31st, 2004, 10:21am
I am guessing there will be password access soon. (At least two levels of user passwords).

LynnetteD
March 31st, 2004, 10:30am
I agree that Brent and all his elves do a great job with this site. It is unfortunate that some people can't afford a membership. I was wondering what ever happened with the money tree contest? Did Brent win? I for one joined his tree because I knew that the prize money could keep OLS going for a long time. If Brent didn't win, then I have no problem with him charging, but if he did, I think it was due to all his friends from this site, and he should share the wealth. Just one persons thoughts!

Gomez
March 31st, 2004, 10:31am
For the non-paying members, they gain nothing by posting new sweeps that may only be visible to premium members. This will be true unless there is a guarantee that new sweeps posted by non-payers will always be available to all. Maybe others think differently, but that's my view, and if it's shared by others, will definitely decrease the number of sweeps listed on this site. For example, a very nice family trip to San Diego would never have been won by an OLS member if this policy (without the "guarantee" modification) had been in effect. I know because I posted the contest, and you can figure out the rest.

This is untrue.

Many of us post sweeps simply out of generosity. Furthermore if you hadn't posted that particular sweep chances are good someone else would have found and posted it. Not everyone thinks like you do, and I'm happy to say that's a good thing.

jcns
March 31st, 2004, 10:34am
I am guessing there will be password access soon.

Not sure what you mean. You already need a password to "log on" to the site.

Current
March 31st, 2004, 10:40am
I'm embarassed to ask but I went to paypal and gladly paid my 30.00 but how do I tell if I have premium membership, everything still looks the same to me.
thanks,

Copied from Brent's original announcement on the first page:

"Between now and April 15th, these additional premium membership features (among others) will be gradually added to the web site and be made available to all subscribers. I know better than to try and guarantee exactly what will be available and when, but as long as most of the major benefits are ready and live at the time, April 15th will be official start date of the premium membership service."

allycat
March 31st, 2004, 10:41am
Okay, I'm an official premium member now. Decided to go ahead and pay on the site rather than mail a check, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything is safe. (All kinds of stories from you guys) I know all of this is still in the works and I want to do my part to keep OLS a working site. I know it truly is a struggle for those who don't have the funds to do this, and maybe we all :grouphug: as a group can come up with some ideas to help each other some how. All I know is that I'm a sweeps junkie now and this is such a fun hobby that I don't want to stop doing. I wish the best to everyone here!

Allycat

Current
March 31st, 2004, 10:42am
I agree that Brent and all his elves do a great job with this site. It is unfortunate that some people can't afford a membership. I was wondering what ever happened with the money tree contest? Did Brent win? I for one joined his tree because I knew that the prize money could keep OLS going for a long time. If Brent didn't win, then I have no problem with him charging, but if he did, I think it was due to all his friends from this site, and he should share the wealth. Just one persons thoughts!

As far as I know, the part of the Money Tree contest that Brent won (where he gets a chance to pick the three winning envelopes out of 15 envelopes) has not happened yet.

Gomez
March 31st, 2004, 10:50am
1) If you don't want to pay with Paypal you can simply mail the money. Easy.

2) People with issues with Paypal are overwhelmingly sellers, that is to say people who accept payments via Paypal such as Brent and myself. Even so Paypal is a great company doing many millions of transactions a day without problems. Sending money via Paypal is safer than most things you do with a credit card. I've worked in restaurants and bars and I guarantee you your credit card is at much greater peril when you hand it to a human being as opposed to using it over the Internet.

3) For people still with irrational fears of using Paypal, well, your credit card always allows you to dispute a charge. If you cancel your card after using Paypal that's just silly; using that logic you need to cancel your card after every purchase.

4) If you're STILL afraid of credit cards, there are single-use cards available. The number is good for 1 use only.

People tend to fear what they do not understand, and I'm here to tell you fearing using your credit card over the Internet is irrational since using it in the "traditional" way is much more dangerous yet no one seems to be worrying about that. If this keeps you up at night ... okay, cancel all your credit and ATM cards and bank accounts and bury your money in mason jars in the back yard.

Kym
March 31st, 2004, 11:19am
I've got to agree with Gomez here...using your credit card at a restaurant is far more dangerous than using it online.

You give your credit card to a waiter, who swipes it and gives it back to you. You add the tip and sign it. The waiter later goes back and puts the tip into the credit card machine. This is money THEY earn. They could put in anything. If you don't keep your receipts and check them at the end of the month, would you notice that your restaurant bill was an extra $5 or $10???

4u2nvc
March 31st, 2004, 11:24am
I have had this happen to me. I went to a restaurant. My tab came to $25. Five months later, my bank account was in the red. I looked over my statements and realized that the restaurant charged $65 to my account five months after my first and only visit. My bank took care of it and credited my account when the restaurant couldn't come up with proof of the charge (ie a signed receipt).

I've never encountered internet fraud.

I've got to agree with Gomez here...using your credit card at a restaurant is far more dangerous than using it online.

You give your credit card to a waiter, who swipes it and gives it back to you. You add the tip and sign it. The waiter later goes back and puts the tip into the credit card machine. This is money THEY earn. They could put in anything. If you don't keep your receipts and check them at the end of the month, would you notice that your restaurant bill was an extra $5 or $10???

MacSSS
March 31st, 2004, 11:37am
I pm'd you brent for an addy to mail a money order to!! Can't wait!

Kym
March 31st, 2004, 11:37am
I guess it's off topic, but just some advice, don't EVER leave the tip section open on those receipts. (you know, like if you're paying the tip in cash) The waiter can just put the number in and total it and it looks like you signed it. If that happened, the restaurant WOULD have had proof.

venus_de_milo
March 31st, 2004, 12:00pm
I don't understand the part about non-paying members being hesitant to add a new sweep for fear that it would be termed a "premium" sweep and they wouldn't have access to it through this site. Um, if you had the URL to begin with, you can enter it. Just bookmark it. Right?

dmyself
March 31st, 2004, 12:14pm
If you would like to send Brent a check or money order his mailing information is at the bottom of the privacy statement.

Snookums
March 31st, 2004, 12:19pm
I pm'd Brent yesterday but have not gotten a response. Has anyone else?

clpotter
March 31st, 2004, 12:36pm
35,221 members x $30 = $1,056,630.00................CHA CHING!

Now I know not everyone will join and not everyone will buy a $30 membership, but imagine the possibilities. Thats like winning a sweepstakes in itself!!!!!

Apparently, we are in the wrong hobby. Webmaster here I come! lol

carogonza
March 31st, 2004, 12:52pm

Now I know not everyone will join and not everyone will buy a $30 membership, but imagine the possibilities. Thats like winning a sweepstakes in itself!!!!!

Well you know what? Brent deserves it! He has worked hard for years to keep this site ad free. This website is the best sweep site around. SO I think if he wants to make money on it, then he should. Creating and maintaing a website this large with so many members is a full-time job in itself and he should be compensated for all his work. I see nothing wrong with him charging a fee for all the we get from this site. Just my :twocents:

stonybuff
March 31st, 2004, 12:55pm
that was easier than I expected. thanks Brent for a wonderful,comprehensive site. also, many thanks to moderators, editors and those who post sweeps and answers or tips. Jamie

clpotter
March 31st, 2004, 12:56pm
I agree Brent deserves any fees he gets. This is a great site and well worth it.

DrJohn
March 31st, 2004, 1:09pm

I wondered when someone was going to come up with this simple-minded response.

How about buying steaks for $5 a pc and selling them for $15 a pc;restaurant owner,here I come!

philstacy
March 31st, 2004, 1:53pm
I don't eat out, but when I see a credit card receipt with a tip space I X it out before I sign. I keep all receipts and check them against the bill.

$1,056,630.00 - could eventually be $30 a month or $30,000,000.00

If the site is profitable it could be for sale in the future. A new landlord
could raise the fee to recover acquisition costs.

dr jekyll
March 31st, 2004, 2:06pm
Is there an address to send a check or money order to for the Premium Membership? I don't like putting my cc# (because I share it ) over the internet and I 'v heard negatives about PayPal. I would appriciate your help. Thank You.

Janet

kbsocial
March 31st, 2004, 2:08pm
Is there an address to send a check or money order to for the Premium Membership? I don't like putting my cc# (because I share it ) over the internet and I 'v heard negatives about PayPal. I would appriciate your help. Thank You.
Janet

You betcha:

If you click on your user CP and then Paid Subscriptions you will see this statement:

For those that wish to not use paypal ~ I suggest going that route:)

Ravzie
March 31st, 2004, 2:13pm
I will also need the check mailing address. Where did the PM button go??? I don't seem to see it...

Tanasi
March 31st, 2004, 2:20pm
I will also need the check mailing address. Where did the PM button go??? I don't seem to see it...

Left click on Brent's name in his first post. A menu will appear with the option of sending Brent a pm.

Current
March 31st, 2004, 2:45pm
I posted what follows in another thread, but some people may not see it, so I am copying it here:

This is not difficult.

1. If you cannot afford the Premium Membership cost for any reason, then do not pay it at this time, or ever, if you choose. No one is saying that a person cannot access the basic features of OLS if you cannot afford it. The basic features will STILL be available. MySweeps, entering sweeps, the forums, and other things that you are used to, will STILL be there, there will just be added extras for those who choose to pay for them. NO ONE is going to be kicked out of OLS for inability to pay. Brent is not closing this site down to anyone who cannot or will not pay. OLS will still be here.

2. If you can afford the Premium Membership cost, then do so, and you will receive the extra goodies that come with that membership.

Either you join the Premium Membership offer, or you don't. Your call. But OLS will still be here, no matter what a person decides. Brent is not shutting OLS down, just offering extra, added things. People are acting like OLS is all of a sudden gonna disappear for them if they don't pay the Premium Membership fee, and that isn't gonna happen.

Think of it like this. If you have a TV, you have access to regular broadcast channels that are free for anyone who has a TV and an antenna to receive those channels. But if you want extra stuff, like premium channels, movie channels, or pay-for-view adult channels, then you shell out the money for cable TV, broadband, Dish TV or whatever. You can plug your TV into your wall socket and get the basic TV signals that are flying through the air. But if you want more, you pay for it. It is a simply a matter of personal choice.

Either a person decides to pay and get extras, or they don't and get the basics.

bulldglit
March 31st, 2004, 2:59pm
There are already five memberships that are being given away by OLS members. I don't know of any other website that have members that come up with these type of ideas. The information is the Whats on Your Mind thread. If you really want the premium membership, and you are having a hard time with affording it, let these wonderful members know about it.

mansker
March 31st, 2004, 3:04pm
What Current Said.

Plus, if you have PM'd Brent about sending in a check or money order, please allow him time to get back to you.

He is busily working on everything right now to bring up the paid service, so is in the background doing webmaster stuff and will be getting back to everyone as soon as he can.

Now that he's set a date, he's really under the gun to get this stuff done. Please be patient. . techies on their best days are kinda distracted, I'm sure that he is mega distracted right now.

as his tag line says "Pressure? What Pressure?"

donnagirl1964
March 31st, 2004, 3:11pm
I'm excited about the new features, this is my favorite site by far.

Thanks to EVERYONE who makes ONLINE-SWEEPSTAKES what it is today, the very best.

Donna

clpotter
March 31st, 2004, 3:14pm
The exact same figure quotes were used before by a different screenname. I wonder if it's the same person using a different name. Seems the first time it got out of hand and that person was banned. Remember? That got nasty with all the I'm leaving drama. I sure hope that old can of worms doesn't get opened again.

PS when are we going to get our pms about sending checks?

I wasn't implying anything by the calculation. I just though it was a fun tidbit or factoid. Afterall, that is what we are here for right.....fun??

I think this is a great site and well worth the $30 membership fee if you enjoy it.

Reverie
March 31st, 2004, 3:41pm
There is no doubt that Brent deserves to be rewarded for his hard work in making this site so wonderful for so many. I haven't seen anyone dispute that fact in all the threads I've been following.

And there are many, many more here who should be rewarded for their hard work - the editors and moderators, of course, but also everyone who contributes suggestions, answers, codes, tech help, etc.

Most importantly, those who add new sweepstakes to the site should be rewarded. Therefore, though my wins are few and far between, and modest so far (because I am ever hopeful of that elusive big win) I guarantee that when I win the big one (or, please, please, the big ones!), I would pay the membership fee for those who helped by posting the sweepstakes or providing answers.

There are some wonderful members here who are offering memberships based on need and they are to be commended. A truly lovely thing to do. I'd like to offer membership based on generosity of spirit to those who deserve it. Perhaps others will do the same. :gvibes:

Kathleenob
March 31st, 2004, 3:53pm
How about posting the address for all to see so we don't have to wait for a reply email? If that poor man has to individually answer each email he gets asking for the address, the enhanced site will never get going....lol.

mistydowg
March 31st, 2004, 3:56pm
I just happen to discover our membership number today...now, if I am wrong on the number, please feel free to correct me, only because I do make mistakes.. I just read in the forums that there are "Members: 35,255" ....... now, I would guess that there is a percentage of $30 SUBSCRIBERS, and a percentage of non-subscribers?

Lorraine
March 31st, 2004, 4:09pm
I'm new here, but $30 for membership is low compared to the possible wins here on OS. Already joined.

Ravzie
March 31st, 2004, 4:12pm
Thanks, Tanasi!! I must have been asleep at the wheel when that change was made!!

momofthree
March 31st, 2004, 4:25pm
Just sent my payment via paypal. Now I am OFFICIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

redjen
March 31st, 2004, 4:51pm
I just happen to discover our membership number today...now, if I am wrong on the number, please feel free to correct me, only because I do make mistakes.. I just read in the forums that there are "Members: 35,255" ....... now, I would guess that there is a percentage of $30 SUBSCRIBERS, and a percentage of non-subscribers?

I'm relatively new here but I spent some time when I was VERY bored going through some of the member list pages and quite a few of the members aren't active anymore. Also, a lot of the members join date and last activity date is the same. So the members # does not actually represent active members that would subscribe. Although I think that it would be great for Brent if all 35,000+ members that could would subscribe, I think he deserves it!

jackie52
March 31st, 2004, 5:34pm
Is there a way to pay for membership by check or money order? I think I know where my Clear Channel Money Tree win will go.

jenninshelby
March 31st, 2004, 5:48pm

Sent him a PM last night-no word yet. Probably be a lot easier for him to just post how to pay via sail mail on this thread, rather than have to reply to each PM. I would like to know something soon so I can go ahead and send mine and it get there by the time the site goes paid.

ignoramoose
March 31st, 2004, 6:19pm
No one is forcing ANYONE to pay anything. And just my :twocents:, but OLS is not a right, it's a privilege. Brent doesn't have to run this site, he doesn't have to make huge sacrifices for it, and he doesn't have to spend the majority of his time making this a place people like to come. He could shut it down tomorrow, but he's not. He has found a way to keep the site open and retain some semblance of a life (and sanity). Is he gonna make a million dollars from subscriptions? Highly doubtful. But I hope he does make enough money to keep this site up and running, and enough to pay his bills too. He deserves it, he works extremely hard and absolutely, positively without a DOUBT should be compensated for that.

leigh
March 31st, 2004, 6:42pm
Well holy cow, I go away for a couple of days and of course that's when the big announcement is made!

Already signed up and can't wait to see the new changes, I will stay glued to the monitor and try not to miss them. =)

Got a surprise win in the mail today plus this = good OLS day! Yay!

Leigh

Heather
March 31st, 2004, 6:42pm
How about posting the address for all to see so we don't have to wait for a reply email? If that poor man has to individually answer each email he gets asking for the address, the enhanced site will never get going....lol.

This is all too true, lol! Please just be patient, and Brent will get around to letting everyone know, when he has the time. :)

kellerma
March 31st, 2004, 7:04pm
I joined today and am looking forward to the new additions/changes to the site! Brent, you do a great job!

Kathleen

dcritter
March 31st, 2004, 7:17pm
I am happy to pay the $30. To me this is a bargain and I've already gotten more than enough free from this site...Not often do you get to try something out for so long before having to pay for it.

afvn
March 31st, 2004, 7:22pm
I'm In. Thank You:cheer4::cheer4::cheer4:

rainwoman
March 31st, 2004, 7:35pm
can you set up a po box for us non paypal users?

Hills333
March 31st, 2004, 7:35pm
I think I will pay. i am liking this "hobby".
Will paying members get to use custom avatars before they have 300 posts? :shocked3:

ked
March 31st, 2004, 8:12pm
Brent's address to mail him a check is at the bottom of the OLS privacy statement.

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/privacy.html

artmarcia
March 31st, 2004, 8:34pm
Paying through Paypal was quick and easy. Thank's Brent for a super website--one of the best on the whole internet. I feel blessed to have discovered it one year ago.

timsterino
March 31st, 2004, 9:23pm
I am now paid up. I think $30 is a bargain for this site and I want to thank Brent and the moderators for an awesome site.

Tim :-)

SSquared1980
March 31st, 2004, 9:49pm
I just signed up and it was fast and easy thru PayPal. Keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no problems ther :) I'm glad to be able to become a paid member. I'm sitting here typing this on my new Dell Computer I just won this month!!!! I would not have it without this site and appreaciate all Brent does to keep it the BEST site on the internet. I've been around for awhile now and was a member of other sites before discovering OS. I haven't been back to any of the others since landing here! What a great community of caring and supporting friends. I look forward to my time here everyday!

Good Luck to all and I hope March brings lots of wins to every OS member - paid or not!!!!

debiwelbon
March 31st, 2004, 11:15pm
I hope a moderator - someone who communicates alot with Brent will help me with this! I paid for my membership - then I remembered that my paypal account is under a different screen name. I have written a PM to Brent, but it still shows it has not been read yet and I don't know what to do. Are there just so many messages going out to him that it is taking awhile to get to them? I don't want to miss out on anything! Can someone let me know something - someone who personally knows Brent? I would appreciate it!

StarbucksAddict
April 1st, 2004, 8:50am
Debi,

You're fine. I checked and your subscription was applied correctly. :)

*Star

Snookums
April 1st, 2004, 9:04am

Has anyone got their PM from Brent with details yet??????

debiwelbon
April 1st, 2004, 10:52am
Thank you for checking on the status of my account! I really appreciate it!
Does anyone know when the new features will be implemented?

kbsocial
April 1st, 2004, 11:06am
Thank you for checking on the status of my account! I really appreciate it!
Does anyone know when the new features will be implemented?

From the first post of this thread:

http://online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=876223&postcount=1

Features will begin April 15th:gvibes:

mgkamish
April 1st, 2004, 12:15pm
If I were you, I'd send a note with my username and then my real name and address. Seems to make sense, right?

kbsocial
April 1st, 2004, 12:25pm
If I were you, I'd send a note with my username and then my real name and address. Seems to make sense, right?

That would be fabulous. If you don't include your user name he will have no idea who to credit!! :gvibes:

superchickee
April 1st, 2004, 1:58pm
No respose. I guess he's busy. :(

Xanax
April 1st, 2004, 3:51pm
Hoping my subscription gets applied I forgot I have differant name for paypal.

Beyondtheblue
April 1st, 2004, 3:53pm
This question doesn't even apply to me, but I am curious. What if a non-subscriber submits a hard to find sweepstakes, one that would normally fall under the ones viewable to subscribers only? Does the sweepstakes get added to the 'restricted' sweeps list? If so, then the person who submitted it would probably be unable to track it in (or enter from) MySweeps - correct? Yes, they could track it elsewhere... so it would just become a matter of (in)convenience. Just curious. I rarely use MySweeps, and have yet to submit a sweepstakes, so it won't affect me one way or another.

kbsocial
April 1st, 2004, 3:56pm
Hoping my subscription gets applied I forgot I have differant name for paypal.

You are good to go:gvibes:

Xanax
April 1st, 2004, 4:00pm
kbsocial thanks for responding so quickly and validating this for me you are great! :cheer:

Current
April 1st, 2004, 4:02pm
I now have the address to send Brent a money order for my membership. But, what info do I send with it so he knows it is from me and placed in my acct. I mean as far as sometimes I see members who have an I.D. #. I don't know where to look for my number?
Thanks, for any help you may have. And may your day be blessed with many wins.
LaVonne

If you hold your cursor over your name, you will see your ID number down at the bottom task bar of your browser. Yours' is 28616. Hope that helps!

Current
April 1st, 2004, 4:08pm
For those who may have questions or fears about Paypal, here is the link where Brent posted about Paypal in another thread.

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=883388&postcount=7

honeymom
April 1st, 2004, 4:08pm
I sent Brent a pm 2 days ago and haven't heard back yet.

hjean1216
April 1st, 2004, 4:10pm
:hello: All Paid up and ready to rock!!!! :cheer6:

DrJohn
April 1st, 2004, 4:12pm
If you hold your cursor over your name, you will see your ID number down at the bottom task bar of your browser. Yours' is 28616. Hope that helps!

This ID number is a new one for me;I guess this old webtv won't show it to me.
Do I need it for anything?If so,can someone tell me mine?
ima dummy :)

Heather
April 1st, 2004, 4:13pm
This ID number is a new one for me;I guess this old webtv won't show it to me.
Do I need it for anything?If so,can someone tell me mine?
ima dummy :)

Yours is 16972. :wink3:

bella
April 1st, 2004, 4:21pm
Will there be a link with the address to send a money order? Is April 15th the all or nothing date or can you sign up anytime after that? Sorry, I'm just full of questions.....

chaching
April 1st, 2004, 4:29pm
Brent, is there a way that I can pay by PERSONAL CHECK. I live in a state where there is high incidence of indentity fraud and I would much prefer to pay through PERSONAL CHECK. Could you not provide a way to do this. I, personally, do not like electronic funds transfer or PayPal. I realize that I like the dark ages but that is how it is with me. Pleae post something on the form pages. I really want to join but I hate PAypal with a vengeance. Thanks.
Lorraine Phoenix, Arizona We are Numero Uno in indentity theft in the U.S. and we have U.S. mail theft in our area.

Heather
April 1st, 2004, 4:30pm
Will there be a link with the address to send a money order? Is April 15th the all or nothing date or can you sign up anytime after that? Sorry, I'm just full of questions.....

To my knowledge, you can sign-up anytime whatsoever after April 15th. It's up to you! :)

kbsocial
April 1st, 2004, 4:34pm

On the paid subscription page is a link to PM Brent for mailing money orders and personal checks. :gvibes:

Current
April 1st, 2004, 5:06pm
Thank you so much current! You are awesome!

Thank you so much, but Star is the one who taught me that little trick. Star is awesome! heehee

:grin2:

AlliGator2
April 1st, 2004, 6:13pm
Me too - Hope my subscription gets applied. Our Paypal is under my husband's name. I pmed Brent but have not heard back from him yet but I know he's is busy.

jenninshelby
April 1st, 2004, 6:41pm
I saw Brent's address under the privacy policy link-I just want to know if that is still the snail mail addy to send to and also do we make the M.O. to Brent or to OnlineSweepstakes.com? Thanks for any help.

jazzybj2002
April 1st, 2004, 9:06pm
Is this the final layout for the sweeps? I had thought eventually the snailmail sweeps were going to be reconfigured to conform more closely to the online sweeps format. Did I get that wrong? I am more deeply into snail sweeps than online at present, so this is important to me. I understand all the sweeps listings will still be available to everyone, paid or not, but am not clear exactly what will be available to paid members. Is the membership limited to yearly, or will there be options for monthly, quarterly, etc., or possibly "try-out" membership? I have searched but can't seem to find answers, forgive me if I have somehow missed them.

L122Y
April 1st, 2004, 9:29pm
ID numbers... never noticed that before! I went back and checked Brent's. He's number 2 so who is number 1? :sherlock:

strchld
April 1st, 2004, 11:14pm
I am so excited to see this really happening!! I can't come here as much as I used to and I miss all kinds of stuff like this annoucement.....I am going to be a paid member ASAP!!! As always..I love this place and will fully support Brent in all he does...Thank you for a wonderful site. :sing:

kbsocial
April 1st, 2004, 11:51pm
Me too - Hope my subscription gets applied. Our Paypal is under my husband's name. I pmed Brent but have not heard back from him yet but I know he's is busy.

You are signed up and have a paid subscription :gvibes:

grasslady
April 2nd, 2004, 9:47am
I am in! :) Thanks Brent for this site! :)

kbsocial
April 2nd, 2004, 9:48am
Be sure and take a gander at the update from today:

http://online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123613

sunnydays
April 2nd, 2004, 10:03am
:gvibes: I'm in! Thanks, Brent for a terrific site. :gvibes:

grasslady
April 2nd, 2004, 2:20pm
OK, I payed thru paypal so how now do I know I am registered for this? Thanks in adavance! Lisa

flitters
April 2nd, 2004, 2:45pm
If you go to your user CP and then go to subscriptions on the left side you will be able to see that your payment has been received and posted. Bear in mind...it may take Brent a little bit to get it done but I paid on the 30th and mine is up to date. Good Luck to all....can't wait for the changes and really glad Brent is finally getting due compensation for his hard work. :grin5:

Sally

grasslady
April 2nd, 2004, 2:59pm
Thanks Sally, I see it is paid already! :)

Chinya
April 3rd, 2004, 12:07am
It took me about 10 seconds to make THAT decision! Once I saw the notice that subscriptions were now open, I headed right over and paid my membership. I am so pleased to be a part of OLS; I try so often to add a sweep, only to find that someone has beaten me to it! It's such a joy to see people tripping over themselves just to be first to share - isn't that just the nicest feeling? I hope I get to be first sometime soon, just to be part of the generous spirit that is OLS! :clap: :clap: :clap:

jackie241
April 6th, 2004, 8:15am
I've been checking ever since the announcement was made.I had made a donation Sept.17 but it was from my paypal acct using another email....I think I put a note in it giving my username and email.I sure don't want to get left behind....lol.This site is the best and is well worth the cost.I did send a pm but haven't heard anything....guess I need to be more patient.....

pisces12
April 7th, 2004, 11:21am
I Just Received An E-mail From A Website Called Sweepstakesonline.com For A Subscription Service Which Looks An Awful Lot Like This One. They Are Offering The Same Features Etc. Is This The New Website For The New Ols Subcription Service? Or Is This A Look-alike Service? Can Anyone Help Me Here?

LollieK
April 7th, 2004, 11:25am
Looks like a cheap imitation to me!

hulagirl_t
April 7th, 2004, 11:39am
wow... just went to check out that sweepstakesonline site -- if you look at their "ending today" sweeps they have 4 -- compare that to our 23!! OLS is the best!!! :nana:

LetItRide
April 7th, 2004, 11:50am
:cheer7: Thanks Brent for keeping the subscribers & non-subscribers together! :cheer7:

Haven't made my mind up wheather to subscribe yet or not....once I check out the new features, I'll decide then.

janieeluten
April 7th, 2004, 12:00pm
I made 2 donations last year but I haven't seen anything yet about being a paid member. I sent an email on March 30 and it shows it hasn't been read yet. I would hate to lose my online sweeps page. :frown3: