PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing Email Address Purge

Brent
June 5th, 2014, 7:31pm
OLS being a relatively old web site with hundreds of thousands of member registrations over the years, an increasing amount of email that gets sent out to our members bounces.

The bulk of the email sent out each day is forum/thread/PM notifications that our members have subscribed to over the years.

As time passes, people tend not to unsubscribe form those notifications and sometimes they stop using the email address with which they originally registered.

The net result is an ever growing amount of unnecessary and unwanted email traffic gets bounced around the Internet. Not only does it waste bandwidth, it increases the likelihood of OLS email being labeled as spam by both our members and their ISPs/email providers.

In order to clean things up and further combat spam in general, I have disabled most OLS email from being sent out to inactive OLS members, that is members who haven't visited and logged into OLS in the past year. If and when these inactive members return, they will start receiving email again.

For everyone else, our active members who have a registered email address that regularly bounces email (returns undeliverable because the email account is no longer valid) I reset the email address verification on their accounts. These OLS members will need to register a new valid email address with OLS and verify it by clicking on the activation link in the email that gets sent to them once they provide the new email address.

All OLS member accounts without a valid email address will be partially restricted until a new email address is registered (i.e. you won't be able to post). Access to sweeps/MySweeps will not be affected.

To register a new valid email address, please go to the Email & Password section (http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/profile.php?do=editpassword) of the User Control Panel (CP).

An activation email will be sent to your newly provided email address immediately and then all you need to do is click on the activation link in that same email. Easy peasy, you're fully registered once more.

If you get stuck and you happen to need another activation email sent to you, click here (http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/register.php?do=requestemail).

Thank you for your help in keeping things clean. :wink2:

Verizon is the only ISP/email provider that is currently blocking email coming from OLS. I've been in contact with their email department and the block should be lifted within a matter of days if not hours.

Brent

Oh yeah, Heat :mad2: in 6.

daveintexas
June 5th, 2014, 7:50pm
Thanks for that info, but I really have to let you know that it will be the Spurs in 7.

EYESONLYFORDAVE
June 5th, 2014, 8:07pm
thanks!~ I confirmed my new email address with OLS :)

bigskwinner
June 7th, 2014, 12:10am
The email address you entered is already in use. If you have forgotten your password, please click here.

so thats not helping me any

It now does not recognize my new password for my premium account and I still can't post or even access the forums with my premium

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

kinda frustrating actually

AND if you can not access the forums, and you're locked out, most people who are having this problem won't be able to read this thread

smilekisses
June 7th, 2014, 2:26am
The email address you entered is already in use. If you have forgotten your password, please click here.

so thats not helping me any

It now does not recognize my new password for my premium account and I still can't post or even access the forums with my premium

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

kinda frustrating actually

AND if you can not access the forums, and you're locked out, most people who are having this problem won't be able to read this thread

You're are accessing the forum now. :confused:

tinamarina71
June 7th, 2014, 2:56am
Same thing happened to me but I sent an email to the MOD GODS and then I received a verification email and am back in the forums.... about an hour later.

Not too shabby OLS team - thank you.

Inkyskeeper
June 7th, 2014, 11:07am
ive had the same e-mail the whole time...do i need to do this to? i dont have a new e-mail

Valerie46
November 15th, 2014, 6:06pm
I am so aggravated with online sweeps. I am having a horrible problem first it was with the master password then the other password got all that atraight and I thought okay I can now enter. So tried to enter my sweeps and I would click on it and would go no where I was logged in and int he right corner it said you must have javascript enable now I have searched trying to find it and I cannot find anything. Please hlep I am having sweeper break down today.
Thanks if anyone can help me.
Valerie

Qncterra
November 15th, 2014, 10:01pm
ive had the same e-mail the whole time...do i need to do this to? i dont have a new e-mail

I'd say that if you are receiving emails from your recent forum comments, then you are okay.

Qncterra
November 15th, 2014, 10:03pm
Thanks, my old ISP email was on file. Corrected.