PDA

View Full Version : Database Errors/Site Will Be Down for 20 Minutes

Brent
February 3rd, 2012, 5:29pm
Hi guys. I need to take the site down to run some checks. All should be fixed once I bring the site back up. Shouldn't take much more than 20 minutes or so. If I run into any issues or problems while the site is down, I'll update the OLS Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/online.sweepstakes

Brent

Nickyle
February 3rd, 2012, 5:42pm
Back up for me but now that it is, what was the problem that a majority of us couldn't get in for days Brent?

sheila10253
February 3rd, 2012, 5:46pm
I am in! Woohoo!

shakenbake2
February 3rd, 2012, 5:47pm
Thank you for the fix !!:smile8:

Kimberly Kay
February 3rd, 2012, 5:47pm
:magic: :fairy3: ...for the Info. :fairy3: :magic:

bomar97
February 3rd, 2012, 5:50pm
Wow!! Just in time for my weeklies! Thank you!!! It was an adventure!

lmv
February 3rd, 2012, 5:51pm
For the future:
Some of us don't have facebook accounts... if possible could an update be posted on the
Database ERROR Page
Here on the ANNOUNCEMENTS page
on the yahoo blog (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/olsers/)

Also, is there anyway that our backups could be made available within the User CP...

Thanks!

captain_kirk24
February 3rd, 2012, 5:56pm
Thank you so much for the communication. It's very much appreciated.

sgtrock3940
February 3rd, 2012, 5:57pm
Thanks Brent!

janess
February 3rd, 2012, 7:07pm
Yeah!!! Thanks

hopeful_winnings
February 3rd, 2012, 7:08pm
Awesome!!

scooter777
February 3rd, 2012, 7:08pm
Thank you very much. Good job!:smile9:

mvir9
February 3rd, 2012, 7:10pm
Thank you!!!

annulla
February 3rd, 2012, 7:11pm
Never even knew OLS had a Facebook page. :dontknow:

ppammela
February 3rd, 2012, 7:15pm
Never even knew OLS had a Facebook page. :dontknow:

It is usually just full of vote requests. I suggest you do not "like" it because people do use the friend lists to bombard you with friend and vote requests.

kfgold
February 3rd, 2012, 7:15pm
I've been a member since 2003 and as far as I know the OLS site hasn't ever been down very much in all those years!, When it is down, it isn't for very long! Thanks again Brent!

cpnqn
February 3rd, 2012, 7:25pm
Yay! Just happy u came to visit- been too long

resurrected
February 3rd, 2012, 7:36pm
Thanx Brent

caroltennis
February 3rd, 2012, 7:38pm
thanks for all you do

Jerzee64
February 3rd, 2012, 7:42pm
Thank you!! It's great to have this wonderful site back. Thanks for all you do to help keep it running! :cheer4:

dawns41
February 3rd, 2012, 7:44pm
Thanks!!

msmaclady
February 3rd, 2012, 7:50pm
Thanks!!!

minbari
February 3rd, 2012, 8:07pm
Oh no, I was getting so much done! House cleaning, home repairs, car maintanance, long over-due major shopping trip. Thanks a lot, Brent! :laugh:

joannak
February 3rd, 2012, 8:08pm
It is usually just full of vote requests. I suggest you do not "like" it because people do use the friend lists to bombard you with friend and vote requests.

I've never been bombarded at all....but that's ME....I just hid OLS from my feed and I don't see all the requests.

ppammela
February 3rd, 2012, 8:14pm
I've never been bombarded at all....but that's ME....I just hid OLS from my feed and I don't see all the requests.

I made the mistake months ago (think it was the last time OLS was down) and clicked like. Within hours I had 14 friend requests, most of them stating they were OLS facebook members looking for votes. My friend request and messages are open to the public (just in case a sponsor needs to get a hold of me). Over the next day or so I got a ton more of the same (could of been the same people, I didnt pay attention to names once I realized where it was coming from). I finally just unliked the facebook page and it stopped. Could just be because OLS had been down at the time so normal vote requests were not going through... so bad timing.

nello86
February 3rd, 2012, 8:23pm
Welcome back! I had online sweeps withdrawal for two days:(

Judithlh
February 3rd, 2012, 8:31pm
Brent, thanks for the fix. I was becoming anxious.

Who knew that so many of us have become so used to their daily fix of OLS, that a few hours down brought out all the doom and gloom naysayers and complainers.

I'm not complaining, just glad that you were there to fix it for all of us. Actually, I was beginning to assume that you were on a sunny beach somewhere. ... And thinking of that sunny beach.... Uh, I really need to get back to entering sweeps. And thanking Brent for standing by in case of a major emergency.

Thank you

venus_de_milo
February 3rd, 2012, 8:34pm

FWIW I have liked it and I don't get unsolicited requests.

eileenfar
February 3rd, 2012, 8:44pm
We found the pony!

Thanks Duknuk for one of the very best comments on the situation.

Bumpa
February 3rd, 2012, 8:47pm
Thank you so much for the fix!!! I was going through withdraes for 2 days lol. Went to some other sites to enter contests. Was not the same... You are the best. Thank you Bumpa

mrsb8
February 3rd, 2012, 9:04pm
THANK YOU- you are "the man"

appreciate it and love this site

sdbuzzed
February 3rd, 2012, 9:40pm
Thanks for the fix.. I'm sure its alot of work... you are truly appreciated... and yes i was going into withdrawals myself heh i love this site!!!

theladyluck
February 3rd, 2012, 9:43pm
Thank you, Brent. It's very important for us to know that you're aware of what's going on and are working on it. Now, if possible it would be very helpful if you'd take note of this comment:

For the future:
Some of us don't have facebook accounts...

I, for one, have had two extremely bad experiences with facebook and I went through a lot to finally get myself out of it. I don't plan to rejoin it at any time in the future for any reason whatsoever. Considering the OLS Forums exist specifically to provide communication for OLS subscribers, and considering the OLS Forums are available to 100% of your subscribers rather than just a portion of them, why can't you use your own forums to pass on information to us.

Please consider those of us who aren't Facebookers or Twitterers. Or, for that matter, Linked Inners or Google Plusers or members of any other social network. Isn't it to your advantage to make the OLS Forums a complete source of information for those of us who prefer to use them alone for our social networking?

duknuk
February 3rd, 2012, 9:50pm
We found the pony!

Thanks Duknuk for one of the very best comments on the situation.

~~~~

My comment (from a closed thread) today ...

Kewl, another whole day just opened up.

I’m gonna get so much done. :cheer7:

(There's gotta be a pony in here somewhere.)

You're welcome Eileen. Obviously you got the reference.

For those who didn't ...

The Pony

(It’s All In How You Look At It)

A family had twin boys whose only resemblance to each other was their looks. If one felt it was too hot, the other thought it was too cold. If one said the t.v. was too loud, the other claimed the volume needed to be turned up. Opposite in every way, one was an eternal optimist, the other a doom & gloom pessimist.

Just to see what would happen, on the twins’ birthday their father loaded the pessimist’s room with every imaginable toy and game. The optimist’s room he loaded with horse manure.

That night the father passed by the pessimist’s room and found him sitting amid his new gifts crying bitterly.

“Why are you crying?” the father asked.

“Because my friends will be jealous, I’ll have to read all of these instructions before I can do anything with this stuff, I’ll constantly need batteries, and my toys will eventually get broken,” answered the pessimist twin.

Passing the optimist twin’s room, the father found him dancing for joy in the pile of manure. “What are you so happy about?” he asked.

To which his optimist twin replied, “With all this manure, there’s got to be a pony in here somewhere!”

Glenda
February 3rd, 2012, 10:52pm
Thank you! I was having major withdrawals!

traumer
February 3rd, 2012, 11:18pm
Thanks Brent for getting OLS working again. I sure missed it. I just finished bookmarking all my sweeps off site of OLS so if it crashes again I will still be able to enter my sweeps.:)

nikkee
February 3rd, 2012, 11:26pm
Thank you Brent for what you do and for this wonderful site, it has kept me here for 7 years now. :gvibes:

amr
February 3rd, 2012, 11:55pm
Happy that you are back online!

diddy18
February 4th, 2012, 12:28am
Thanks Brent, missed this site alot while it was down.

ticeland
February 4th, 2012, 12:41am
Thank you Brent!!!!! You are awesome! :jump::jump:

CARAN52
February 4th, 2012, 1:52am
You guys are the greatest!!! Glad to be back up and entering again. :jump:

desertwings
February 4th, 2012, 1:53am
I didnt think I could live without OLS, but I did! You don't know what you have until it's gone...glad it was temporary.

gitpicker
February 4th, 2012, 4:18am
I knew in my heart that you would get it fixed, Brent. I do agree with thousands of others that a simple one-minute kind gesture of posting "I know it's broken and I'm working hard to get it fixed" would be appreciated and lower the stress levels tremendously.

Please, for the sake of all of us who love your website, we beg you to better communicate with us. You could even appoint one of the mods as your personal spokesperson. It would only work if you allow them to actually contact you in case of a site emergency.

Thanks for fixing what is apparently a "fix" for a whole bunch of us sweeping addicts. :laugh:

xscapes
February 4th, 2012, 5:34am
Thanks for Quashing the Panic :cheer3:

Like everyone else...for future reference...a word would be nice...just a clue that you know there is a problem would put our Sweep Addict Heart at ease.

dawns41
February 4th, 2012, 8:21am
~~~~

My comment (from a closed thread) today ...

You're welcome Eileen. Obviously you got the reference.

For those who didn't ...

The Pony

(It’s All In How You Look At It)

A family had twin boys whose only resemblance to each other was their looks. If one felt it was too hot, the other thought it was too cold. If one said the t.v. was too loud, the other claimed the volume needed to be turned up. Opposite in every way, one was an eternal optimist, the other a doom & gloom pessimist.

Just to see what would happen, on the twins’ birthday their father loaded the pessimist’s room with every imaginable toy and game. The optimist’s room he loaded with horse manure.

That night the father passed by the pessimist’s room and found him sitting amid his new gifts crying bitterly.

“Why are you crying?” the father asked.

“Because my friends will be jealous, I’ll have to read all of these instructions before I can do anything with this stuff, I’ll constantly need batteries, and my toys will eventually get broken,” answered the pessimist twin.

Passing the optimist twin’s room, the father found him dancing for joy in the pile of manure. “What are you so happy about?” he asked.

To which his optimist twin replied, “With all this manure, there’s got to be a pony in here somewhere!”

LOL! Isnt that how people act tho? too funny.:clap:

charliebuck
February 4th, 2012, 8:56am
Thank you Brent so much.:blues::blues::blues:

Delilah17
February 4th, 2012, 9:20am
Thank you Brent!! I love this site so much!!!! I appreciate all the work that is done to make this site great!

Lisargold
February 4th, 2012, 9:55am
Thanks so much Brent. You're work on this site is very much appreciated.

Lisa

pandka
February 4th, 2012, 10:05am
Thank you, Brent. It's very important for us to know that you're aware of what's going on and are working on it. Now, if possible it would be very helpful if you'd take note of this comment:

I, for one, have had two extremely bad experiences with facebook and I went through a lot to finally get myself out of it. I don't plan to rejoin it at any time in the future for any reason whatsoever. Considering the OLS Forums exist specifically to provide communication for OLS subscribers, and considering the OLS Forums are available to 100% of your subscribers rather than just a portion of them, why can't you use your own forums to pass on information to us.

Please consider those of us who aren't Facebookers or Twitterers. Or, for that matter, Linked Inners or Google Plusers or members of any other social network. Isn't it to your advantage to make the OLS Forums a complete source of information for those of us who prefer to use them alone for our social networking?

For awhile, everything was down, including the forums. There used to be a Yahoo group for this sort of thing but I think it's become a place for spammers and vote request.

Lutzplay2
February 4th, 2012, 11:27am
Thanks Brent. I know OLS means a lot to you & you would not let us down. If it was frustrating for us ( or should I say the "sweeping addicts" lol), I can't even imagine how hectic & frustrating it was for you. Hoping you can have a relaxing weekend, you deserve it:)

traumer
February 4th, 2012, 11:38am
Just finished up entering all my sweeps. It was such a relaxing feeling entering sweeps today with out any problems. I need OLS every day.

obxhatteraslight
February 4th, 2012, 8:01pm
although I do agree that I wish that a post was made that you were aware of situation. But putting that aside, I am super thankful for the work that you do to keep this site up and running.

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

SeaAngel
February 5th, 2012, 4:17am
Thank you Brent! Hope you, the editors and mods know how very much y'all are appreciated. :grouphug:

Balayeur
February 5th, 2012, 2:02pm
....:smile8:..........................THANK.............................:grouphug:.................. ........YOU ...................................:smile8:....

Ranebow
February 5th, 2012, 2:43pm
Thanks for fixing the errors, Brent. :yay:

saloncuts
February 19th, 2012, 8:56pm
Any word on whether or not you're fixing the problems with sweeps not saving one day and then saving the next day. Sometimes doesn't save one time and then later you go back & does. Read the support/feedback forums & please let us know if this is being looked at. It takes just a second or two to let us know that you are aware we are posting problems & that you are trying to fix them. I have sent email after email and contact email after contact email, and no reply as to whether this will be fixed. If you're looking at it, please take that second to two & post & let us know. Easy to please that way & we will bide our time until it's fixed. Not responding to known problems is disrespectful to paying customers. Please respond!!

pepsidrinker
February 21st, 2012, 5:15pm
I tried to submit this through the Options/Help tab and get an internal server error, so I hope someone can help me...

MySweeps has Daily (84), but when I go there it only displays 24. Shazaam & Count are not showing on the screen. I also cannot see my entry count or last time entered. How do I get my Dailies back?

margarita_mama
February 21st, 2012, 5:29pm
I tried to submit this through the Options/Help tab and get an internal server error, so I hope someone can help me...

MySweeps has Daily (84), but when I go there it only displays 24. Shazaam & Count are not showing on the screen. I also cannot see my entry count or last time entered. How do I get my Dailies back?

Have you checked you premium subscription status?
It appears that your subscription has run out, as your name is not in green font and SHAZAM and the entry time/count are premium features.

The website is really glitchy, so I hope that you have an easy fix.

Junebug03
July 16th, 2012, 4:25pm
Shazaam is no longer on my page as well. I know I'm paid till Sept of this year

viola
September 17th, 2012, 7:07am
OLS was down all weekend. I hope I get credit for the missing two days.

xscapes
September 17th, 2012, 7:20am

HAHAHA...you're kidding, right?

It goes down like that a few times a year...

jay13365
September 17th, 2012, 7:39am
It is really great to have 0LS back. I didn't realize how much I relied on it. Thanks Brent.

DisneyFan
September 17th, 2012, 8:05am

Ummm, that works out to a whopping $.16 ($.08 per day). I don't think I need any credit... I'm just glad the site is back up!

Babyluigi111
September 17th, 2012, 8:36am
Thank goodness the site is back!!!!!

janieeluten
September 17th, 2012, 8:59am
Glad it's back up too.

nanisib
September 17th, 2012, 9:04am
My DH was about ready to kill me since I was having major OLS withdrawal. I found LOTS of honey-do lists to do! SO happy to be back on :jump:

tanya16
September 17th, 2012, 9:05am
Ummm, that works out to a whopping $.16 ($.08 per day). I don't think I need any credit... I'm just glad the site is back up!

If OLS had a Like button I would "Like" your post LOL

kfgold
September 17th, 2012, 9:38am
I have to admit, I really missed OLS this weekend, but I got a whole lot accomplished. It just shows me how obsessed I am with OLS!!!!!:jackbox:

Donna344
September 17th, 2012, 10:46am
Know I'm obcessed with it, had to keep checking to see if it was fixed, So happy it's back up,Thanks to all who worked on it LOVE this site!!!:smile4:

rewcatherine
September 17th, 2012, 10:55am
Chat still isn't working :bawl::bawl:

sweepmama
September 17th, 2012, 11:01am
This is what I've done just to have a backup plan; I save most of my sweeps in favorites folders; one for daily, one for weekly and one for instants. It really helped this weekend. GLTA!

bomar97
September 17th, 2012, 11:11am
This is what I've done just to have a backup plan; I save most of my sweeps in favorites folders; one for daily, one for weekly and one for instants. It really helped this weekend. GLTA!

I'm starting to do that.. but right now it's hard with my ISP dropping off every 5 minutes! Thankfully, they are sending a tech out tomorrow!

bella
September 17th, 2012, 12:09pm
time to get some sweeping done! I just hope all those nasty people who said they were going somewhere
else keep their word. More sweeps for me...thanks Brent!

shsweeps
September 17th, 2012, 12:54pm
Is there another site that we can go to to get status updates should the site ever go down for an extended period of time again?

I thought I posted this note earlier today but I can't find it now...

tokeymom
September 17th, 2012, 12:58pm
I save my daily sweeps in a bookmark folder BUT , I will have to come up with a different plan now with my expiring sweeps, I like to do the single entries on the expiration date, that is my choice , I paid my 8 cents or what ever too and I missed the 2 days of entering those and it could cost me more than 8 cents , I will never know .

patti31556
September 17th, 2012, 1:20pm
I save my daily sweeps in a bookmark folder BUT , I will have to come up with a different plan now with my expiring sweeps, I like to do the single entries on the expiration date, that is my choice , I paid my 8 cents or what ever too and I missed the 2 days of entering those and it could cost me more than 8 cents , I will never know .

I use Sweep! instead of mysweeps..I store it on a flash drive so I can move between desktop & laptop.

check it out... http://www.wavget.com/sweep.html

tokeymom
September 17th, 2012, 1:28pm
Thanks Patti , this like a good idea .

Jdevall
September 17th, 2012, 1:29pm
keep the site up please

mrsdouglas
September 17th, 2012, 1:36pm

LOL, I agree; however, it might make people "happier" if OLS extended your subscription for two days, or however long OLS is down in the future. Personally, not a big deal for me, just sayin'

play4k
September 17th, 2012, 3:48pm

You won't. Brent doesn't do that for us when that happens. I'd be shocked if he did it this time.

bugielady88
September 17th, 2012, 6:39pm
i just so glad it back an thanks so much.Things do happen.

Marilyn
September 17th, 2012, 7:05pm
Thanks Brent! :twoclap::cheer7::twoclap::cheer7::twoclap:

tupik3702
September 17th, 2012, 8:03pm
I'm usually a few days ahead so no loss for me. This gave me time to enter all of my coke codes which I probably had close to a thousand to enter. :type:

circleofmagic
September 17th, 2012, 9:31pm
I was almost ready for rehab. Bless your team for all you do. GG

duknuk
September 18th, 2012, 8:12am
After reading Brent's update on facebook as to the extent of the problem,
I was very pleased to see this site up and working yesterday.

I thought it was going to take several days.

Maybe this new server will end these fairly frequent outages.

shsweeps
September 18th, 2012, 7:10pm
I use Sweep! instead of mysweeps..I store it on a flash drive so I can move between desktop & laptop.

check it out... http://www.wavget.com/sweep.html

I do the exact same thing and have done it for years! It works very well.. I use a flash drive as well... it comes in very handy!

kathyyyyy
February 17th, 2013, 8:32pm
After paying for the premium listings on Feb 2, I can no longer access

chinchilla
February 17th, 2013, 9:26pm
After paying for the premium listings on Feb 2, I can no longer access

Are you sure you don't have it set to "Freebies Only" in the dropdown at the top of the sweeps listing page? You show as green so should have full premium access.

TravelMom
March 22nd, 2013, 5:40am
reported

theladyluck
May 25th, 2013, 6:49pm
For the future:
Some of us don't have facebook accounts... if possible could an update be posted on the
Database ERROR Page
Here on the ANNOUNCEMENTS page
on the yahoo blog (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/olsers/)

Also, is there anyway that our backups could be made available within the User CP...

Thanks!

Ditto